Buying a portable bandsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

The Millstead LLC
Reaction score
Expanding my business from what I have started with. Currently using a 3120 and a 48” chainsaw mill. It is time to get a band saw…..if I can swing it. Hopefully in the next month or 2 if i can. I have lost quite a few jobs that I would have gotten if I had a bandsaw mill. So I think it is time to step up a bit.

I have been researching them for a while now. I can not afford hydraulic anything yet (hydraulic side load either) for the bandsaw. I’ll have to manage with the cable winch system for now and manual feed. Yes I know its slower but also like $10,000+ option.. I think If I get both winches available, I can pull bigger diameter logs up on the mill. Ill be getting most of the accessories available for this mill.

Any opinion, on the ones listed below?. Any others to consider in the same price range?

And I want as close to 36” live edge capabilities as I can.

The Frontier OS35 maxes out at 33”
The Norwood HD38 maxes at 35”
The woodlandmills HM136 maxes @ 36”

https://woodlandmills.com/hm136max-portable-sawmill/

https://norwoodsawmills.com/products/lumbermax-hd38?variant=45330301026625

I did get a quote from Norwood for their HD38 and from Frontier (same company actually) for their OS35.

Still waiting on a quote from woodlandmills but I think i got it figured out.

With all the stuff I want of each bandsaw (all very similar options) and an auto sharpener and tooth setter in each quote.

Woodlandmills HM136 should be around $14,500 shipped

Norwood HD38 is $16,400

Frontier OS35 is $12,600

The distance between the framework of the saw head and the distance of band usable are different values. What are the band lengths for the various choices? I don't do live edged slabs however expecting to cut in the 36" area with my 1 1/4 bands new ones at that, seems unrealistic to get a flat surface with any sort of knots. I know Cooks makes a wide version of their 32 model which I have the standard one, it just seems unlikely especially if you are entering on bark instead of a previous cut that is at 90 degrees to the band. I looked and saw the woodland mills uses a 173" blade. 0.042" thick. Woodmeizer has some choices that are a bit thicker, not sure if it really helps but I get those sometimes,

The distance between the framework of the saw head and the distance of band usable are different values. What are the band lengths for the various choices? I don't do live edged slabs however expecting to cut in the 36" area with my 1 1/4 bands new ones at that, seems unrealistic to get a flat surface with any sort of knots. I know Cooks makes a wide version of their 32 model which I have the standard one, it just seems unlikely especially if you are entering on bark instead of a previous cut that is at 90 degrees to the band. I looked and saw the woodland mills uses a 173" blade. 0.042" thick. Woodmeizer has some choices that are a bit thicker, not sure if it really helps but I get those sometimes,
Ok so it is unrealistic to expect a flat cut out of a larger log with these saws? But installing a thicker blade will help it sound like? Not many other saw seem to fit in my budget.

I really appreciate your input sir. Thank you very much!!

most of what I mill for myself to sell is the bigger stuff. I can continue to use the chainsaw mill for that stuff.

Most of the bandsaw suited jobs I have lost the biggest log I saw so far was MAYBE 26” in diameter ….. maybe. But most were 16”-low 20’s

Expanding my business from what I have started with. Currently using a 3120 and a 48” chainsaw mill. It is time to get a band saw…..if I can swing it. Hopefully in the next month or 2 if i can. I have lost quite a few jobs that I would have gotten if I had a bandsaw mill. So I think it is time to step up a bit.

I have been researching them for a while now. I can not afford hydraulic anything yet (hydraulic side load either) for the bandsaw. I’ll have to manage with the cable winch system for now and manual feed. Yes I know its slower but also like $10,000+ option.. I think If I get both winches available, I can pull bigger diameter logs up on the mill. Ill be getting most of the accessories available for this mill.

Any opinion, on the ones listed below?. Any others to consider in the same price range?

And I want as close to 36” live edge capabilities as I can.

https://woodlandmills.com/hm136max-portable-sawmill/

I did get a quote from Norwood for their HD38 and from Frontier (same company actually) for their OS35.

Have you looked into Hudson sawmills? They're pretty reasonably priced for what they are, I don't know what if any dealer support you have though. Just a thought, I've looked into them and that's what I'm looking to get here soon.

There seem to be two ways to keep the band flat. One is with roller guides that push down on the band from where it would go if they were not there. The other is sandwich guides that stabilize the band where it would naturally be from band wheel to band wheel. Looks like the woodland mills is the sandwich type which most likely allow them the wide cut they state.

The thicker bands should have larger band wheels at least to an extent. The last thicker one I used (0.055" ?) one I used on 19" band wheels broke at the weld but it was doing good before that. There are 45 and 50 thousands instead of the 42 others generally offer. Of course a wider band can be controlled better but that is in a higher price point mill.

I have a HUD-son Warrior mill 24 hp twin cylinder, I can cut up to 34” wide , home made track and can cut up to 21’ . Total cost about 11k, but HUD-son has many smaller mills that might fit your budget. I have found very little information on the Norwood mills , none of which is very good . I looked hard into them as they are manufactured about an hour from me. Poor customer service, poor communication, mills shipped with parts missing, which take forever to get or usually never get. Just too many red flags , but they are nice looking mills, though.

Have you looked into Hudson sawmills? They're pretty reasonably priced for what they are, I don't know what if any dealer support you have though. Just a thought, I've looked into them and that's what I'm looking to get here soon.
I have looked but have not talked to them yet. Thank you. I will talk with them

There seem to be two ways to keep the band flat. One is with roller guides that push down on the band from where it would go if they were not there. The other is sandwich guides that stabilize the band where it would naturally be from band wheel to band wheel. Looks like the woodland mills is the sandwich type which most likely allow them the wide cut they state.

The thicker bands should have larger band wheels at least to an extent. The last thicker one I used (0.055" ?) one I used on 19" band wheels broke at the weld but it was doing good before that. There are 45 and 50 thousands instead of the 42 others generally offer. Of course a wider band can be controlled better but that is in a higher price point mill.
Good info on the guides. I was assuming the roller guides would be better but i was just guessing.

Appreciate the info. Woodland is the one I keep going back to

My inly experience with band saws, and its a good amount of experience, is the type for cutting steel bar and structural stuff in a shop. All the ones iv used had roller guides so its all iv seen. Im very familiar with blade changes and tension for THOSE types of band saws so Im assuming it will be helpful with my learning curve.

I still want to call woodland and talk with them.

And I still need to see who is close to me too.

The metal cutting band saws seem to have 3 bearings or rollers on each side as in entry side and exit side. Top bottom and rear if the blade is horizontal. It isn't like the "portable" thin kerf wood sawmills where there is one roller guide with a shoulder. Maybe the 6 inch wide blades at places with maybe 100 employes use that sort of blade stabilization.

Norwood has been at the Paul Bunyan show in Ohio, the guy even seemed to have a bit of a resemblance to their stylized ax over the shoulder guy that was more prominent in their presence than seems now.

WoodlandMills called me back. All i can say is she really seemed to want to rush the conversation and just get me to buy it. It was a major turn off.

My conversation with Norwood was about the best customer service I have experienced in a long while.

Going to give Hudson a call tomorrow and then count my cards.

I do keep talking to or seeing lots of people happy with their Frontier bandsaws.

My conversation with Norwood was about the best customer service I have experienced in a long while.
Well that’s good to hear, maybe they realized that customer service is needed to stay in business.

Well that’s good to hear, maybe they realized that customer service is needed to stay in business.
Hopefully.

Also could be great customer service because they want me to buy something who knows what happens after that.

I did ask them about my nearest distributor, if parts were often available and how long they generally take to ship.

See what they say

If you really want info and customers service par none talk to Cooks. Their stuff is done correctly from the get go. Cost is a bit higher but that is reflected in what you get.

If you really want info and customers service par none talk to Cooks. Their stuff is done correctly from the get go. Cost is a bit higher but that is reflected in what you get.
Thank you sir

Back