Cal. Special 335xpt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence Martin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi just looking for some info on thAT CAL. SPECIAL that baileys has in there cat.
I thinkn it was decussed be for.

My bud just dropped his 335 and is thinking about the cal. specal.
, some one sad it was more reliable . info would be great, power gains , reliabilty etc...

thanks

lawrence
play safe

good saw, I've got one. Search this forum for "335", "cali" you'll find the previous threads.
Greg

What is different about the 335 Cali. I know it has more CCs. Does this imply more horsepower too? What about weight? I looked on Baileys sight, but they list the same horsepower and weight as the regular 335. Could this be right, or did they just not have updated info?

It does weigh the same, they said..

I'm dubious about it having the same power, even tho it is detuned. Greg and another ASite fella feel their's outcut the regular saw...

Okay, I have a few related questions. In a previous post, RBtree, you wrote, "The Cali special is not hi perf like the normal 335, but w/10 extra cc, some say it has a bit more bite". I'm confused as to how a non-hi perf engine can out perform the hi perf one with the same weight. What makes one hi perf and the other not? Does hi perf imply tuned? Does the Cali stand to gain more from mods than the regular 335? Thanks for helping me understand the difference between these saws.

I think that Husky gave this model a larger engine to compensate for the power-robbing restrictions imposed by Cal. air purity standards. I have no idea where they shaved the weight to keep it equal to the regular 335XPT.

Putting more displacement in the same size case makes it easy to LOSE weight (there's a bigger hole in the midst of der metal). If the saw is "detuned" to comply with Exasperating Pinheaded Asses regulations then it seems like big gains could be made. Unfortunately I have no firsthand knowledge. I would expect a broader powerband and greater torque with the greater displacement-even stock.

That makes sense, Stumper. I wonder why Husky doesn't just max the displacement for any given block (engine) size. Is 45 CCs as high as they can go with the little 335? I was under the impression that Husky leads the market in power/weight ratio, at least with small saws. This makes me wonder what their new line will look like. Anyone heard what's coming and when?

The last I heard was the 351 which was 49cc going to a 353 which will be 52cc. Up to 3.3 hp now.

I'll restate what most already know; Advertised hp does not in many cases stranslate into cutting speed. I have timed new saws rated 4.0 hp against ones rated 3.0 and they come out dead even. If the horsepower figures are honest, it may be that we don't see the power difference until we get enough bar in the wood to require the higher horsepower.

Has anyone modified both the 335 and a 335 Cali. I'd like to know how the gains compare. Also, what is it about the Cali that makes it less of a "high performance" saw?

I think they're referring to specific output or in other words power per displacement. If a 35 cc saw puts out 2.5 hp and a 44cc saw puts out 2.6 hp then the little guy is higher performance than the big one. The little saw in this case makes one horsepower with 14 cc's the big guy is less efficient needing 17.3 cc's to make one horsepower. It's all relative.

Thanks, Sedanman, I'm beginning to understand it. Now my questions are, "why wouldn't Husky make the Cali high performance too" and "how much could mods help each of these saws"?

Rog (rbtree) or Dennis would know as much about this as anybody. I know Dennis modified a 335XPT for Rog, don't know if he's done a Cal. Special yet.
I'm also interested in hearing about a modded Cal. Special. Imagine having the power of a 60cc saw that you can wave around with one hand!

My regular 335 was done by Walker's. Dennis did a Cal. Special for someone else, sounded like it had great perf gains.

Call Bailey's, they might be able to explain the differences. They told me what they knew, but I dont remember the details.

Mine is still working great, and both my climbers have their own saws, so it will be a while before I need another one.

I don't understand how Husky can start with their regular 335, increase the displacement and presumably fuel intake and somehow it now magically meets CA requirements. I guess the more powerful engine is needed to overcome a more restrictive muffler. If so, it should have more potential gains from opening up that muffler. Does that sound right?

I think the real reason for the 10 cc boost is that over 45 cc saws have different regulations than the smaller ones, and easier to pass, most likely. Stihl did much the same thing with the 019.

robedic why don't they maximize the power out for all saws?

Because they can charge so much more for the various displacement s than for just one size saw.

I did a forum search and was unable to find it for you.
The search on the forum is for a previous discussion about the cost by the manufacturer on going from say 90cc to 120cc or 50cc to 60cc on the same saw.

The bottom line in the previous discussion was given everything the same (chassis, carb, body etc.) not very much money.

So the consumer stays uninformed and ignorant of the true gains in purchasing the next higher priced model. Where a change in cc size sometimes does not justify the price increase.

Of course this is all relative to what you want the saw to do for you.

Back