Can this piston be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toast IMHO........COULD it be smoothed up and run again?.....sure.......but not to the potential of the saw or last very long. It's apart now so slipping a new piston in is just minutes work. More importantly is that you need to find the cause of this failure or the next piston may well look the same as this one in short order.

Thanks for the input (When in doubt, ask the pros). I was given this saw, so I am unsure what caused the scoring... Let me know

It depends what you mean be saved really. You most certainly could clean up the piston carefully with a file to remove any high spots, put a new ring (you may be able to save that one) and clean the cylinder. It would probably be ok, saws are not high performance machines and can run with surprisingly damaged pistons and relatively loose tolerances .

However the only time you’d really want to do this is if the replacement parts are either NLA or ridiculously expensive. Here is a video on how to save a scored piston.

Do not use abrasive paper on the piston, just a file, very gently. The aim is to remove the high spots, not to remove the damage.
A thanks to @trains for teaching me this a few years ago. I’ve used it successfully many times.

Latest posts

Back