Carb Pressure Test Fail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purdyite

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a vacuum test on a Stihl 019 saw (I know it's probably not worth the effort, using as a teaching tool) and it would not hold a vacuum, but bled off slowly. I had plugged the exhaust and intakes, removed the reed valve, and removed the metering needle in the carb and then used the fuel line to do the vacuum test.
I then pressure tested it under water and the carb shafts leaked profusely--crankshaft bearings/seals were fine. So--IF I were to fix the saw, is that telling me I need a new carb? It's a Zama S37A.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

carb shafts will always leak regardless. i seal up the intake before the carb to test the saw and then just rebuild the carb. there's alot about leaking throttle shafts causing running issues here but i don't buy it for a second. i have never seen one worn bad enough to cause any issues whatsoever and i'm talking some stupidly high hour saws. heck i even did a carb swap on my weedeater and had to drill the new carb for the stock shaft. ended up a little to big but it runs just fine. you likely don't need a new carb.

carb shafts will always leak regardless. i seal up the intake before the carb to test the saw and then just rebuild the carb. there's alot about leaking throttle shafts causing running issues here but i don't buy it for a second. i have never seen one worn bad enough to cause any issues whatsoever and i'm talking some stupidly high hour saws. heck i even did a carb swap on my weedeater and had to drill the new carb for the stock shaft. ended up a little to big but it runs just fine. you likely don't need a new carb.
Westcoaster90--You were right. Ran the carb through an ultrasonic cleaner, trimmed a kinked fuel line, and it works like new. Thanks for helping me avoid an unnecessary purchase! Sure looked like a lot of bubbles coming from around the shafts, though.

Back