Carburetor adjustment tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman85

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need carburetor adjustment tool that will fit newer Husqvarna saw. Are the cheap sets on Amazon going to work or is there something better?

I think there is a "new" spline size now out on some makers saws and other carb. products. Been discussed on this forum I believe.

Medium spline? I think it's between the small and large spline sizes in the kits from the usual scumbags.

Can anyone confirm???

I think there is a "new" spline size now out on some makers saws and other carb. products. Been discussed on this forum I believe.
Actually you're right - Husky recently moved up to a 5mm spline from the old 4mm ones that fit most saws, on their string trimmers and some of their chainsaws. No sign anyone is making the new ones in 5mm in cheap kits.

AND when you find the correct one handle it with care, make sure it's full seated on the jet and do not force anything of the tool may just strip out it's splines, especially if the jet turns with with much resistance.

Saw I need them for is a 450 Husky about 1 year old. Am I better off buying a specific tool for those saws? Any available? All of my other saws and weedeaters take a screwdriver..

someone suggested using copper pipe and wiggle it on. I did a safer thing but did not work. I used stiff polypropylene hose that did fit tight over screw and splines did engage but screw wouldn't move. I did view my attempt with the top cover off to see exactly everything. Spline marks viewable after attempt. Unless someone knows different ? I think the newest screws may be glued in place. :(

someone suggested using copper pipe and wiggle it on. I did a safer thing but did not work. I used stiff polypropylene hose that did fit tight over screw and splines did engage but screw wouldn't move. I did view my attempt with the top cover off to see exactly everything. Spline marks viewable after attempt. Unless someone knows different ? I think the newest screws may be glued in place. :(

Use the right tool for the job, the spline drive screwdrivers are inexpensive.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, no sign the tool is readily available anywhere in the US. Husky part number is 598846901. Only seem to bring up listings in the UK or Europe. There is no aftermarket version of the new 5mm tool, just the old 4mm ones.

You can notch the screws with a hacksaw or a dremel. Voila!, done, but the proper tools are handier, cause they stay on the screws much better whilst the saw is running.

Which saw? Older use the 4mm ID small 21 spline and newer stuff has went to a 5mm ID spline oem tool only at dealers.

Here is the 4mm left 5mm oem middle and right pacman will work on the 5 in afm tool

afm sets are cheap to buy like 10 a set. I have 3 bought sets over the years because they keep adding more.

Mitch figured out the pacman worked on the 5mm on a 585 he had.

Attachments

• spline.jpg
    spline.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1
  • epaaaaa.jpg
    epaaaaa.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
  • h585pacmann.jpg
    h585pacmann.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 0
  • h585pacman.jpg
    h585pacman.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 0
Which saw? Older use the 4mm ID small 21 spline and newer stuff has went to a 5mm ID spline oem tool only at dealers.

Here is the 4mm left 5mm oem middle and right pacman will work on the 5 in afm tool

afm sets are cheap to buy like 10 a set. I have 3 bought sets over the years because they keep adding more.

Mitch figured out the pacman worked on the 5mm on a 585 he had.
I commented on another thread about that, the latest kit I got had a spline drive that worked, went and checked and it was in fact the pac man driver I had used. Non issue imo at that point, $10.00 Amazon/ evilaby kit solves the issue of the 5mm spline drive.

Back