Carlton?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A customer came in today and said he had heared that Carlton had been sold, or out of business, or something. Anyone know if there is anything to that? I like their products. I hope nothing bad has happened.

I think he tried to get some Carlton where he had been buying and was told that story. But we can think of several other reasons for unavailability from specific dealers. The first clue is usually C.O.D. tags on boxes at the trash pile.

Also Tilton is apparently changing chain sourcing. Anyone know what is going on there? I got what (looks) like Oregon chain from them in an unbranded reel marked made in U.S.

THis could very well be interesting. Oregon Mfgr's a lot of bars in the land of the maple leaf, but chain? Is the chain made in U.S.?

As well, what happened to Sabre's chain plant? <a href= "http://www.sawchain.com/">Carlton's website is still up </a>. Carlton is even advertizing a <a href="http://www.sawchain.com/new%20products.htm"> ripping chain </a>.

If I heard right, Sabre has been taken over by Sandvik,(a part of Oregon). Sabre was the manufacturer of Total chain for Tilton. Tilton also handles Carlton. I don't know what this will mean down the road, but at present all my chain orders are coming though just fine from all distributors.
Carlton has always had one of the best products, and I hope they continue to.

There have not been any changes at CARLTON Saw Chain. They are still the second largest manufacturer of saw chain in the world.
The change in the industry is Sabre. John Deere closed it down last December and the bits and pieces have been sold off, some did go to Oregon.
There are now only three manufacturers of saw chain in North America. Oregon with plants in Guelph Ontario Canada (they make lots of chain there)and Milwaukie Oregon. Windsor in Tennessee (now a division of Oregon). And Carlton in Milwaukie Oregon.

Back