Chain Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob,
I find that you have to keep the sliding part lubricated or else it doesn't wanna slide right...Kinda a pain in the a$$...Rick

Hi Rob, I use one like that, it helps you keep the angles consistent- works ok. Rick is right about keeping the slide lubed.

I hate to be the bare of bad news but he is right. They are a pain to use. You would be much better off with an good electric grinder with a wheel. Or Bite the bullet andtake the time to learn how to free hand file. Its an art that needs to be learned over time. And when you are ready to make some good work chain let me know, I can give you some advise on how to make it cut better and longer..... provided you don't use it to plant corn rows:D

Later,
Chris

I bought one like that from Granberg not to long ago and I really like it so far. Haven't used it much but it does what it said it would. The one I bought was about twice that much. It seems to have more or maybe just different adjustments on itand is made of all metal. It takes a few minutes to get it all set up but then you can really go pretty quick. I have not had any problems with it sliding well but as I said, I've only used it a couple of times.

Stihl has one

I bought the one stihl has out, yes it is higher but I bought one that was made in tiawan, and it was nowhere what the stihl one is, I use mine each time I sharpen, :)

I also use one. I've always been getting a good sharpening from mine, with no sliding problems. I'd recommend it.

they are good for training your right and left hands to work the same(angle,depth and pitch). problem is you need to keep the rails lubed and you must remove the file from the holder to turn it to avoid "flat spots" in the file. marty

I have loaned mine out to get people on the right track of sharpenin with a file but never used mine much.

Latest posts

Back