Chain Makers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Haw many different saw chain makers are there left?

What has happened to Sandvik, Sabre, Zip Penn, Canad, Windsor,

Is there only Oregon, Carlton, Stihl, and GB ( or is GB actually a chain mfg, or just bars?)

<a href= "http://www.brownandwiser.com/windsor.html"> Windsor home page</a> Some refer to their chain as Windsor/Sandvik.

While Sabre eventually ended up with John Deere, then was dismantled and auctioned off, I found <a href= "http://www.npadist.com/chain.htm"> this link</a> to a parts house that apparently has a pile of it yet. I'm sure there's others, too.

I think Zip=Penn was kind of like Bailey's in that they relabelled chain. I don't know what happened to them, but I think they must have fallen on hard times.

I know naught of Canad.

Sandvik/Windsor was bought out by Oregon.
Sabre just vanished. GB just sold Sabre under their label.
There are just the three left: Carlton, Stihl, Oregon

There seems to be a choice of 2 near me - Stihl and Oregon. I normally use a semi chisel chain like rapid micro on a 026 , because most of the stuff I cut is full of crud. Is there much difference between Stihl and Oregon chain re performance, value for money?

Windsor is still around I just ordered a 100' reel of semi chisel chain from them on Thursday...I got a friend that works there so of course I get a deal ;) sometimes....

Later Rob...

Originally posted by Acer
There seems to be a choice of 2 near me - Stihl and Oregon. I normally use a semi chisel chain like rapid micro on a 026 , because most of the stuff I cut is full of crud. Is there much difference between Stihl and Oregon chain re performance, value for money?
Stihl chain can cost 50%-80% more than Oregon depending on where you buy it. Depends a lot on the retailer.
5-6 years ago I could tell a substantial difference between the two brands. While running a crew for Davey I found that the Oregon needed tightening after every other tank of fuel. The Stihl chain might need tightening every 5 tanks of fuel.

Today I'm not so certain about the differences. I'm currently testing some Oregon .325 LP and LG on my 026. They seem to hold an edge and resist stretch as well as Stihl. I'm still running Stihl Picco Micro on my climbing saw but may try some Oregon lo-profile again.

Latest posts

Back