Chain Recomendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What chain do you guy's reccomend to use on my new Husky 385XP w/32"bar.

Full skip
Semi skip
Square Chisel
Round chisel???

I cut mostly hardwood Oak,Maple,occasional Cedar,etc..

I'm looking for a fast cutting chain,not worried about stay sharp thats what the file/grinder is for.

Thanks for any replys:D

If you are not worried about sharpening chains a square filed full comp will cut the fastest, At least thats what Art Martin says. some guys like to run full skip with long bars, but I think that is mostly the guys that cut big softwoods out west.

Ok so I'll get some round ground square chisel Oregon LG,but what do ya think about full comp,skip,semi-skip etc...??I was thinking semi-skip..Also what manu should I use Oregon,Carlton etc..

Thanks for your help..:cool:

LG is full comp, I use full skip for milling and it`s good for that purpose but compared to full comp it`s hard on you and the saw so why use it when you don`t need it.
Full comp is less prone to kick back.

Thanks Kevin,

But I'm looking for the fastest cutting chain possible.

What do you recommend??
Is Full comp the fastest??

Thanks Alot for the help

The fastest cutting chain would be one of Arts or something in a specially ground chain ... a racing chain.

You know what I mean Kevin,I'm just looking for a fast cutting chain nothing special.

Thanks for the help:blob5:

Try one loop of the LG to see how you like it, I`m quite happy with it.

38_72lg_detail.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Kevin, how do I get my Bell high speed internet working? Is it compatible with Windows XP?
Fill me in or the house wench will round house you with a dust mop. lol
John

John,
Just send me several "large" unmarked bills,... c/o we care internet connections, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.
I can find out for you tomorrow at 8am.
Are you going to be home, I`ll let you speak with one of the techs?

Hi Kevin, not a problem. I will send you 100 pounds of 50's.
Im in the bush now. I bought about 95 trees, maple and cherry.
So I get to loose this beer belly. Its 90 degrees here and the sweat just pisses out as I lug my 2171G up those steep slopes as I chow down on the wood fibre, lol. Thanks for offering to help with the high speed. I will get in touch with your tech when I get to loggin here more than I do in the bush.
Stay tuned for some wild and crazy pictures this week.
Loggins & Loggins Logging & Lumber Ltd.

Yeah, 3 hours per day is real sweatin' work in the bush, bro. I wish I could munch down for 3 hours in one day, eh?

Although 73LG is my chain staple, I would run semi skip on a bar 32" or longer if you are going to be using the whole bar most of the time. It does help with chip clearance. I also step up to .063 guage to get the beefier tie straps.

Gypo, sorry to hear that you found another bush. I was hoping that you would find that you no longer need the 2171G and that maybe I could help you keep order in your shop by taking it off your hands for a firesale price! LOL. Glad to hear you`re in the bush again. Are the deerflies as bad up there as they are around here? I`ve started carrying a .22 pistol with shot capsules in it to keep them somewhat at bay. Been a great year for raspberries though. Russ

Hi Doug, they call it bankers hours here. I dont want to rush into anything or nothin aye. Canadians say Aye,Americans say Huh..
Im loggin a Country Club, so I must be inconspicuois (sp). The golf balls, I must duck as they fly from the green. Never did like golfing much. Maybe I will just charge out of the bush with a power tuned Daquri wacker .
Hi Russ, the flys arent bad here, its to freakin hot, but lots of bees in the trees so I must be careful and not get stung or I will be trolling for top soil trout.
I better get loggin, need to put in my three hours aye!
The Playboy Logger

Back