Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by HUSKYMAN
There is a cutter on every other link

Skip has two links or sometimes more between cutters

Actually, full comp refers to a cutter tooth every other link. Semi-skip has a cutter every 3rd link and full skip has a cutter every 4th link.

What's the advantages of disadvantages of full comp, semi-skip, and skip? Which works best for just cutting up firewood?
Thanks.
Randy

Full comp is best/fastest/smoother for general cutting,firewood, etc.The skip is better for long bars,28" and up especially when cutting softer wood.Those guys up in the great north west probably use skip chain.

Actually, full comp refers to a cutter tooth every other link

Isnt that what I said?

Semi skip and skip are for bars over 28". Makes it easier for the chain to clear the chips out of the cut, and easier for the saw to keep rpms with a long bar

remember comp

I remember chain like this, there is full house chain and full skip chain and full comp chain is the compromise between the two, for most firewood full comp will do just fine, full skip is for plowing though big trunks in a hurry

full comp = cutter everywhere you can have one
semi skip = cutter every other place you can have one
full skip = east coast loggers idea of saw chain; 36" bar attached to a 026:blob2:

meanwhile back at the ranch: 24" full comp at 70+cc's kicking that hardwood a$$. Some people need to wake up over there - I think I am just fine over here:D

The tooth pattern for the respective chains are as follows:

Full Compliment: RT_LT_RT_LT_RT_LT_RT_LT_, etc.

Semi Skip: RT_LT_ _ RT_LT_ _ RT_LT_ _RT_LT_ _, etc.

Full Skip: RT_ _LT_ _RT_ _LT_ _RT_ _LT_ _RT_ _LT_ _, etc.

Full House: RTLTRTLTRTLTRTLTRTLTRTLTRTLTRTLTRTLT.etc.

It's hard to believe, but a full house chain will beat any other chain pattern, if you use a 6T sprocket, and have the power to pull the chain, as a 090 stihl, in logs up to 20". For example, 1.5 seconds in a 16" log. Also there is no problem with chip removal, just make sure you wear leg protection or the chips will take the bark off of your leg.

Art Martin

I would imagine Art that full skip was designed for those that dont like to file, but what a mess when the chainsaw operator hits that hunk of granite! That 6" between cutters must really bite into the rocks!
Gypo

Latest posts

Back