Cleaning saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The photos from the 066 Saw Brake thread were great. What method do you find best to keep the innerds of your saw that clean? Do you clean it often or just when replacing a part? Thanks

Tom

I have tried tire shine (silicone ) in a spray bottle, It works better
if you CAN wipe it on. I' ve also seen advertized in 4x4 magazines
mud reppelant spray ,supposedly you spray it on your truck ,
then go muddin' ( 'corse) then hose pressure will remove caked on and dry mud. sounds good enough . havent any other info yet
I wonder the temeratures it can withstand the cleaner the cooler
silicone sometimes attracts DUST especially to plastic. not a big problem with charp chainsaws. its the plastik parts that prevent
runoff with a garden hose

p.s. silycone is slypry

cleaning

I blow off a saw if it isn't oo bad. I Gunk it down and hose it off if very dirty. Just keep water out of carb inlet and muffler outlet, plug them up wit a paper towel, just be sure to get it all back out.

If the saw has points , you may have to clean them afterwards.

I used the compressor to blow the junk out of a saw when I've used it. If it's a new one (meaning fresh from the dump), I strip it down and use engine degreaser. Brush and hose down.

Greasy paper towels held in with wooden strips and screws keep the water out. I had a hard time doing that with a 011, so I just washed the inside of the crankcase out (jug removed) with alcohol.

Just an interesting side note about cleaning. Several years back I had the pleasure to visit the Husqvarna factory in Sweden. (back when they still made them all in Sweden:D ) To say the least the Swedes are MUCH more meticulous with their maintenance than we are here in the U.S. The dealers there have a "chainsaw washer". It is a dishwasher that has been customized to accepts chainsaws and deal with the gunk that comes off of them. They plugged the intake and exhaust, put it in, closed the door and ran it! When it came out it was as clean as new. I should add that they partially disassembled it first by removing the topcover, starter, chainbrake, etc. so the dirt was accessible.

I know my wife has been lurking on this site lately. I hope when I get home tonight that the 266 isn't in the dishwasher.

Hi Jane, check under the filter cover of Doug's 3120 KD. Thats where he hides his can of Skoal. Also check his toothbrush for remnants of the coffee ground appearing particles. Be sure to tell Doug that chewing tabbaco causes periodontal disease as well as gingivitis.
The Forensic Medical Practicioner

Dennis-
I was there in 1986, I believe, it has been a while. I worked for Husky then and won a sales incentive trip. It was fantastic. We did the whole factory tour, used prototype saws in the woods, demo'd the lawnmowers, etc.

I know they make a aquaeous degreaser setup similar to a bead blaster cabinet that is used for washing parts, that would be awesome for cleaning out saws that haven't seen any servicing for years.:rolleyes:

Seth: I'm not sure what they are using as a cleaner, some kind of water soluble degreaser. I saw it at a metal stamping plant. It looked white sorta like water soluble cutting oil. When you say " soda blasting" are you talking about soda ash?
Josh

soda blasting

Josh
No I am talking about a rough grit baking soda through a sand blaster with a small nozzel and a air dryer at a lower presure.Seth

Josh What you Described sounds like a Water Soluble Drawing Dope It can be purchased from an Oil company.

I`ve been using Castrol purple degreaser since it was suggested here by someone, Treeclimber165 I think. It works very well but I usually take the dollar store scrub brushes and compressed air to the saws to get the nooks and crannies. I spray it on full strength with my dollar store spray bottle. It does have a caution about use on aluminum and magnesium but I haven`t seen any damage yet(past eight months). Russ

Back