Have I screwed my Dolmar 120si?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had to turn one backwards (dad's 040) when I caught a bit of rope doing the clutch.
Turned it on the flywheel side.
It took some leverage but did move.
Yeah I did consider that too because of the leverage but I'm a bit nervous it could shear the key.

I made a nylon plug that screws in the sparkplug hole. no worry about rope snipping, works great.

I’d be really interested to see what you made and how you made it. The first time I tried a commercially available one, the outcome was less than ideal! The clutch on the 120 is different to others I’ve done in the past which usually have a simple nut holding it all together and that’s why I didn’t use my usual method and ended up going down the rope path. I’d much rather have a more reliable nylon version.

Attachments

• IMG_4578.jpeg
    IMG_4578.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
You can turn it any which way you like- its not running so you wont damage anything by reverse rotation.

I dont recommend it, but I have applied turning force to the crank and map gas heat through the exhaust port to dislodge stuck rope before.
Sometimes you do what you gotta- especially when you don't own the machine and the owner is not wanting to take it to a certified shop. :p
Thanks for all you help Bob. I just put the socket back on and gently put just a little backwards pressure to assess if anything might move. The whole thing moved and the last bit of rope popped out with surprisingly little pressure required. I’d also left a splash of oil on top of the piston and remaining rope overnight which I think helped. I’ll go over the whole thing and make sure everything is clean and debris-free tonight.

Appreciate everyone’s responses and help. Thank you! 👍🏻

Well if it was fairly easy, I would just scrutinise the piston through the exhaust port- perhaps not take the cylinder off.
Amazing the old lever and fulcrum making things a bit easier hey?
Well done solving your own dilemma- even if it was of your own making :p
You are not the first to jam a rope- wont be the last- but you got through it and won. :dancing:

Well if it was fairly easy, I would just scrutinise the piston through the exhaust port- perhaps not take the cylinder off.
Amazing the old lever and fulcrum making things a bit easier hey?
Well done solving your own dilemma- even if it was of your own making :p
You are not the first to jam a rope- wont be the last- but you got through it and won. :dancing:
I have a small bore scope so I’ll be checking it out very closely before I start cycling the piston up and down. It may not be the last time but it’ll be the last time for me! 😂

My plug similar to what you have shown , but I use something else to find TDC first then install plug. On mine there is no reduction below the threads, hand thread in until a bit of resistance felt. I make mine from duralon ( type of nylon) . Never broken one yet

Back