Cleaning stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Reaction score
Thought I might share a couple tips on cleaning gummed up engines, and all sorts of other parts.

Castrol SuperClean in a OLD paint gun (LOW pressure) works great for heavy caked on stuff on large areas (wear at least a dust mask /gloves with this stuff), followed by a pressure washing (hot water if you have it) can degrease and unstain a lot of stuff really nicely... trouble? it's water and isn't good for a lot of things

A note on the SuperClean? don't leave it sit on aluminum/magnesium, it will eat it, and that includes the paint gun you're using to apply it (hence, old gun), and rinse it out good when you're done.

For smaller stuff like chain saw carbs, pistons, etc, get a 5 gallon pail of "Gun wash" for cleaning paint guns, and apply it with a touch up gun at high pressure.. the little 1 cup paint cup is nice and light to handle, and with the high pressure air and controllable delivery, it's quite economical and very effective...
Especially handy when you have to patch a fuel tank or any oily place, it deep cleans the area of oil.
The drawbacks of Gunwash? it eats certain plastics.. especially those found on calculator keys, etc (contains acetone).. I haven't seen it attack any chain saw plastics, but to test, put some on a rag and touch it to whatever you're cleaning, if it sticks, don't go any further.

I've given up on BrakeKleeen.. far too much money

gunwash degreases very well.. well enough to paint/glue, etc.. gas has lubricants and stuff that don't work as well for that. Also leaves no smell on your hands and clothes.. Nice for when you have to go back to the house after

Gunwash works awesome for starting burns too, less POOF and more burn than gas.. I've started my saws on it a couple times

Awesome and mean green are good.i prefer all of the awesome products.especially the citrus blast cut with hot water for cylinders.:D let them soak in a plastic folgers can over night.may have to do it a few times and use your toothbrush but they come out fairly well.at least enough to work on transfer removal or sparkplug hole repair etc.

gunwash degreases very well.. well enough to paint/glue, etc.. gas has lubricants and stuff that don't work as well for that. Also leaves no smell on your hands and clothes.. Nice for when you have to go back to the house after

Gunwash works awesome for starting burns too, less POOF and more burn than gas.. I've started my saws on it a couple times
Better watch starting saws on it.could score the piston,wash the oil out of bearings or possibly damage the seals.

I find mineral spirits and a paint brush, followed by purple power and a light rinse, to work great for me.

The MS does the grunt of the work and the PP washes the MS residual off.

Very much like a parts washer. Instead of MS, I sometimes use 'scrap' fluids headed for the recycler when my friend's parts washer isn't available. Lately, I've been using Simple Green Pro HD and hot water for soaking parts; works great, the crud just falls off after a couple hours (especially flywheels). A 50/50 mix with water in the heated USC also works very, very well.

Very much like a parts washer. Instead of MS, I sometimes use 'scrap' fluids headed for the recycler when my friend's parts washer isn't available. Lately, I've been using Simple Green Pro HD and hot water for soaking parts; works great, the crud just falls off after a couple hours (especially flywheels). A 50/50 mix with water in the heated USC also works very, very well.

Ted
Where do you find the Simple Green Pro HD?....Sounds like something to try.

I have been using a cleaner called oil eater. It is aluminum safe. Works extremely well. Not carried everywhere and a little more expensive the the purple power. But I think it works faster and does a better then everything else I have used. And it is a eco friendly product if you are into that hahahaha!
If not just wash your stuff in mineral spirits or gas and use it for the brush pile!

I also use Super Clean but only if the Kerosene sprayer don't get the stuff clean. Rusted mufflers get soaked in White Vinegar for a day. Cooked on carboned up cylinders get Zep oven cleaner after I put the cylinder on the wood stove awhile.

Some have suggested boiling a cylinder in purple or green cleaner solutions, old crock pots are frequently mentioned.

I use a product call Berryman's Chem Dip for soaking cylinders and other parts that are badly carboned. Seems to work pretty well for me.

DSC06708.JPG

DSC06704.JPG

Less than $20 at WalMart and one can will be good for 10-20 cylinders etc.

I also have a "20 Gallon" parts washer with mineral spirits that gets the oily stuff off. For saws that have a thick layer of accumulate saw dust I blow them off with compressed air in the alley first.

SP125 Parts.jpg

Mark

Berrymans is some good stuff.Not as good as the old stuff but still good.The old stuff from 7-8 years ago stank.if you got it on you you had to wear the smell off.Just had to watch it.it would peel paint and eat up any kind of plastic.I miss it.:(

Back