Considering A skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatscooking

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live on 48 acres that is hilly. I have gone around the edges cutting firewood but cannot reach alot of firewood trees with the equipment I have. I started looking at what is advable as far as A skidder and have come up with some that has my interest. I drove one, fourty years ago, when we logged the family farm and got along with it. I know to respect all types of equipment and especially something like A skidder. The blade would be handy.
Do some of you use A skidder for firewood? Will an older machine that isnt beat to hell and maintained hold it's value, helps to convince the wife if I need to sell it later.

I would wager that the "older machine" would already have been beat to hell. Logging is hard on equipment, and some of the guys are not the most respectful of equipment. In a similar thread, there is a discussion of using tractors for logging. Might be a option. My reply in that thread was that I got a skidsteer. with your "hilly" terrain, that would not be the best choice. Tractor might be better, and yeah, a genuine skidder has off road ability way past common sense.

if you have a trail, or road into the area, then you could fabricate a boom and put a short winch in the back of the 4x4 truck. Not as maneuverable as others, but it would work.

Back