Climbing Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan_M0822

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to start climbing trees. Nothing fancy, just 10 - 20 feet to take off some limbs before felling. What is a good starting kit I should get? Something cheap would be nice while being good enough that I don‘t get hurt.

if its only 20ft, and its just to drop trees, get yourself a polesaw, I rarely if ever climb to take limbs of prior to felling, if I climb im chunking most if not the whole tree down usually
It’s a lot higher then I can reach with my pole saw and using an extension ladder seems really risky considering branches are dropping all over. I have a couple maples that are limb tied at about 25 - 30 feet.

I want to start climbing trees. Nothing fancy, just 10 - 20 feet to take off some limbs before felling. What is a good starting kit I should get? Something cheap would be nice while being good enough that I don‘t get hurt.
Look around for a used but not abused kit, sometimes you can score a high quality kit and pay the same or less compare to a brand new starter kit. To me when you want to put your life on the line, gotta go with quality even if it’s used.

Look around for a used but not abused kit, sometimes you can score a high quality kit and pay the same or less compare to a brand new starter kit. To me when you want to put your life on the line, gotta go with quality even if it’s used.
Do you know what specifically I should look for? Harness, that thing that goes around the tree to hold you, spurs, etc? I don’t want to miss somethin.

I found this online for a reasonably price I think. Would you say it is a complete kit? It has spurs, a saddle, and the top thing that goes around the saddle. Check it out. https://a.co/d/cDTbvwf

Do you know what specifically I should look for? Harness, that thing that goes around the tree to hold you, spurs, etc? I don’t want to miss somethin.
Saddle/harness (Weaver cougar, Notch sentinel, Petzl sequoia, teufelberger treemotion, Buckingham Ergovation) spikes (notch, claim right, buckingham, klein) lanyard, buckstrap, 1/2 climbing rope usually 150’, 5/8 or 3/4 rigging rope 200’, throw line kit, felling tree wedges. These are a must to start your tree service career. They will take care of your backyard need easily, when you encounter trees in a tough locations like close to your house, hanging over your roof etc. you will need more but for now that’s more than enough.

I found this online for a reasonably price I think. Would you say it is a complete kit? It has spurs, a saddle, and the top thing that goes around the saddle. Check it out. https://a.co/d/cDTbvwf
My used and new mixed up kit is already at $900 plus, if you wanna risk your life with cheap Chinese made Amazon products feel free. They might be okay but definitely are not for me.

Latest posts

Back