Cold Weather Threat = Firewood Orders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's a a simple identity equation. There is yet another arctic blast cold weather and snow threat creeping in around here. Several of my customers who already received a truckload or more of firewood are pressing the panic button and ordering another. So, to handle them all, I will need (1) a log splitter that won't conk out, (2) a truck that won't break down or slide off the road, (3) warm clothes, especially warm insulated gloves, (4) lots of dry rounds waiting to be split, (5) a strong body, and Lord knows what else -- maybe a tough German Shephard to guard the splits as I fill the orders.

Oh, and a few have asked strangely for an off-season discount, terrified that I will raise price because it's going to be very cold, even though I never have. That's senseless logic in my book.

Any comments or suggestions?

Cold here too, though today was the first temps above 20° since Christmas. I don't like insulated gloves, so when the temps go below about 15°, I usually work on something else, or spend time in my stand, or, just take a nice long hike to keep the blood flowing. In this cold, I find folks wait till they have about one more night of fuel before it becomes an emergency they would like to transfer to me. Well, I spent 35 years getting paid a decent salary dealing with people and their poor planning that they expect to become an emergency for me. No one is paying enough for the wood to get that kind of response from me now. So, my regular customers know I have plenty, and can deliver within a week all winter long. They get the service we both expect.

And, I agree, my price doesn't change based on weather, or competitors product availability. I want my customers for life, mine or their's.

I think finding customers in whatever business you are in is the hardest part. So good for you. After describing the equipment needs I think it could cost you money to service your customers. Any chance you can rent a splitter one day and deliver with a rental truck another?

How old are these rounds you have laying around that will be ready to burn once split?

I had truck problems right after Christmas...when I needed my truck most... ugh. It took me a while to figure out what was wrong with it, thought of buying a new one...but decided to fix it myself...in my garage...in 0 degree weather. It was the intake manifold on my Ford...common problem evidently. $500 later...

Anyhow, while I was without a truck I found two friends that helped me deliver. One is retired military and the other is layed off... I gave them a $50 for their trouble and they said they had a blast doing it. Honestly I enjoyed the company too and got to know both a little better. I think when the SHTF for our deliveries we are all capable of figuring it out. Despite the worst that the firewood gods can throw at you, don't give up!

How old are these rounds you have laying around that will be ready to burn once split?
I was wondering the same thing. Last Sunday I went to the woods and cut/split a load of ash from a blowdown that was suspended off of the ground for someone's fireplace, but for heat all of my wood comes from stacks. Unless I'm selling to OWB guy, which is rare because I like selling two season C/S/S at a premium price. Maybe that's OP's customer base.

I was wondering the same thing. Last Sunday I went to the woods and cut/split a load of ash from a blowdown that was suspended off of the ground for someone's fireplace, but for heat all of my wood comes from stacks. Unless I'm selling to OWB guy, which is rare because I like selling two season C/S/S at a premium price. Maybe that's OP's customer base.
Most of my hardwood rounds are one-to-two years at most -- lots of ash and elm. I was able to get the splitter's engine going again today, but only after the sun came out. It has some serious problems with moist air. I used to call that vapor lock. The float valve acts like it's stuck and no fuel makes it to the plug. Then when the air warms up and dries out, it comes to life, fires, and runs perfectly like a sleeping giant that wakes up. Any logs that I split are dry and no rot, ready to burn.

Any suggestions for an engine fix? Customers know nothing about this. All they want is firewood that burns and are willing to buy it for the lowest possible price. They could care less about my equipment. As generation X says, "Not my problem."

I've been sold out since november, too much snow up there to fight to get any more this year.

I've been sold out since November, too much snow up there to fight to get any more this year.
Maybe that's the solution. Shut the log splitter down and wait for spring. I delivered a load today, but tomorrow is a different story -- 40 F temperature drop on the way, ice, and snow. Winter can be ugly.

When it eventually warms up, is there any chemical I can add to the gas to prevent the carb's float valve from sticking tight in cold, moist weather? I think that's what shut the engine down. I drained the tank and checked the drained fuel. There is no water in it that I can see. When it won't start, the plug is dead dry. No gas is getting there.

Sounds like a worn/sticky needle to me. Funny you mention Gen X, I'm an X'er, I have the same disdain for the Millenials. As helpless as you think we are, they're doubly so...
Fixing that in the middle of an arctic blast is no fun. I thought a fuel additive might help. Heet? Sea Foam? Heck, I'll try anything to stop this nonsense. The engine is only two years old.

What confuses me is that if it is a stuck float valve, the engine is then supposed to flood out. I have the opposite happening, No fuel is making it to the combustion chamber. The plug is bone dry as if the fuel line is blocked. But that's not the case because I have no trouble draining the tank through the carb bowl.

And, I just got another order for a truckload of splits today. When it rains, it pours.

Ya never know what sea foam might do, or you could pull it into some heat and remove the bowl and swap that needle.

Plan B? Sort out all of your ash and find your Fiskars if you have one. Splitter seems like waste of time, effort, and fuel with that combo.

I have 8 dry cords sitting in my wood yard at the back of my property. 6' snow drifts to get to it though and it's melting and turning to rain over night. Going to freeze again by the weekend. I will likely be able to drive on top of the drifts then. I think I'm just gonna say no more wood until fall, but it depends on my mood this weekend. I could get back there if I really wanted to. Wife just ordered new counter tops for kitchen, new sink too, might as well do a ceramic tile back splash while we're at it, oh and might as well install a new microwave so it's all done. Too much snow to do wood anyway. " I'm worth it aren't I?" I should have O.J. ed her right then and there. Even with me doing all the work it's over $4000 in materials.

Stalling out in cold moist conditions, could it be carburetor icing? Had some on my and my neighbor's generator around that Halloween snowstorm and sounds familiar.

Stalling out in cold moist conditions, could it be carburetor icing? Had some on my and my neighbor's generator around that Halloween snowstorm and sounds familiar.
I thought that too, but yesterday it never dropped below freezing and the day before I had finally got it started and ran it for two hours. When it eventually starts, it runs perfectly.

On the other hand, even though it was above freezing, humidity was very high. Moisture was everywhere in the air, including patchy fog. This engine was dead as a hammer. At noon when the sun eventually came out and it made it to 45 F, the engine started and ran perfectly once again.

This engine is stored outside, underneath an overhang. I have been told that moist air above the gas in the fuel tank can collect, drop down and get to to the carb, shutting it down. Everybody says to add Heet or Sea Foam to the next couple of gas cans that I buy. Does that seem reasoable? Any other additives any better? :rolleyes:

Take the carb off and take it inside where you can take it apart and clean it. It's probably gummed up or has a small clog. Maybe you have a loose jet or something like that.

Most of my hardwood rounds are one-to-two years at most -- lots of ash and elm. I was able to get the splitter's engine going again today, but only after the sun came out. It has some serious problems with moist air. I used to call that vapor lock. The float valve acts like it's stuck and no fuel makes it to the plug. Then when the air warms up and dries out, it comes to life, fires, and runs perfectly like a sleeping giant that wakes up. Any logs that I split are dry and no rot, ready to burn.

Any suggestions for an engine fix? Customers know nothing about this. All they want is firewood that burns and are willing to buy it for the lowest possible price. They could care less about my equipment. As generation X says, "Not my problem."
What engine is it?

It's a a simple identity equation. There is yet another arctic blast cold weather and snow threat creeping in around here. Several of my customers who already received a truckload or more of firewood are pressing the panic button and ordering another. So, to handle them all, I will need (1) a log splitter that won't conk out, (2) a truck that won't break down or slide off the road, (3) warm clothes, especially warm insulated gloves, (4) lots of dry rounds waiting to be split, (5) a strong body, and Lord knows what else -- maybe a tough German Shephard to guard the splits as I fill the orders.

Oh, and a few have asked strangely for an off-season discount, terrified that I will raise price because it's going to be very cold, even though I never have. That's senseless logic in my book.

Any comments or suggestions?

Saw a local ad this week, out of wood and willing to pay up to $50/truckload for split, seasoned wood and willing to buy multiple loads for discount price. Managed to contain myself and hold onto my 15 or so cords I am ratholing

I don't give off season discounts or any discounts of any kind anymore. It's always the same amount of work and time involved winter or summer. This time of year I am getting low on my supply so I only sell half cords at a premium.

Latest posts

Back