Cold Weather Threat = Firewood Orders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What engine is it?
It's a Honda knockoff and has run flawlessly for three years. However, I seldom run it in January because I always have split stock on hand. This year I'm stocked out. Sales doubled in December, I delivered three orders this week, and the cupboard is suddenly bare. I have lots of dry bucked rounds but a dead engine to split them with.

I think it's a stuck carb needle (stuck closed) and it won't let fuel get through. My next batch of gas will be See Foam treated, but I still have to get it started for either Sea Foam or any carb cleaner to perform its magic. Sunshine and 35 F should do it, but that looks to be a couple of weeks away.

I talked to a yard service man today. He says this weather in reverse reminds him of customers in the spring who wait until the grass is a foot tall and thundershowers in the forecast before they call him over to mow it.

It's a Honda knockoff and has run flawlessly for three years. However, I seldom run it in January because I always have split stock on hand. This year I'm stocked out. Sales doubled in December, I delivered three orders this week, and the cupboard is suddenly bare. I have lots of dry bucked rounds but a dead engine to split them with.

I think it's a stuck carb needle (stuck closed) and it won't let fuel get through. My next batch of gas will be See Foam treated, but I still have to get it started for either Sea Foam or any carb cleaner to perform its magic. Sunshine and 35 F should do it, but that looks to be a couple of weeks away.

I talked to a yard service man today. He says this weather in reverse reminds him of customers in the spring who wait until the grass is a foot tall and thundershowers in the forecast before they call him over to mow it.
that one have a primer bulb? If not spray carb cleaner in it when cold to get a prime.

that one have a primer bulb? If not spray carb cleaner in it when cold to get a prime.
No primer bulb, just a choke lever. I've tried tapping the carb bowl with a screwdriver handle to loosen up the carb needle, but that has failed. I've been told that carb cleaner spray only works on a running engine. Until that engine is running again, it looks like I'm dead in the water. And, I can't move the splitter to a warm area. It's a fixed object.

Cold weather has no mercy. That's the way it is and perhaps why the Indians worshiped the Sun god.

I don't normally fuss too much over people wanting wood at the last possible second.

It often ends up being that they want it now, want it perfect & ready to burn and expect it to be cheap.

I really "love" the ones that ask on price and when I let them know I get verbally assaulted.
Maybe I was raised better, but I'll say "ok, thanks, that's a bit more than I had planned on spending. I think I'm going to shop around, thanks for you time"

I am setting up to season 15-20 cords for next year and see how that works. I'm going to sell it for $100 more a cord.

I don't normally fuss too much over people wanting wood at the last possible second.

It often ends up being that they want it now, want it perfect & ready to burn and expect it to be cheap.

I really "love" the ones that ask on price and when I let them know I get verbally assaulted.
Maybe I was raised better, but I'll say "ok, thanks, that's a bit more than I had planned on spending. I think I'm going to shop around, thanks for you time"

I am setting up to season 15-20 cords for next year and see how that works. I'm going to sell it for $100 more a cord.
One of my customers in October called for another delivery. He asked if the price was still $165 a truckload. I said, "No, and I only charged you $130 for the last delivery. I stacked it all."

He said, "Oops, I guess I got you mixed up with someone else."

That happens when they shop around and get a bit confused. Next thing he said was, "How soon can you get that firewood to my house?"

Yep, VF, you are right. Time to raise price.

This is related some what to this thread. I dont sell firewood but have been tempted a few times. Today was one of those times. I met a guy a few weeks ago that does cnc plasma cutting and decided today was the day I would stop by his shop to discuss having a few pieces cut out for my processor I have been working on for the last several years. We where discussing the parts and he asked when I was going to get the machine running, to which I answered one of these days. Anyway, he is about out of firewood and claimed he couldnt find any anywhere. Everybody seems to be sold out. I guess this last cold spell moved a lot of firewood because I got to looking on the facebook sites and didnt see any being listed for sell. I got home and looked at my pile of wood and just for a few seconds, I thought I could make some good money right now. Then I thought, Naw, money isnt worth it if I have to pay for electricity to heat my own house. So the selling ideal just sort of passed and

No primer bulb, just a choke lever. I've tried tapping the carb bowl with a screwdriver handle to loosen up the carb needle, but that has failed. I've been told that carb cleaner spray only works on a running engine. Until that engine is running again, it looks like I'm dead in the water. And, I can't move the splitter to a warm area. It's a fixed object.

Cold weather has no mercy. That's the way it is and perhaps why the Indians worshiped the Sun god.
The carb cleaner is to start the engine you aren't getting a prime, spray a small amount directly into the carb throat try it and let me know.

Just talked to a logger who has the same engine as I do on his log splitter but a year younger. He's been running 2-cycle mixed fuel (50:1) since he bought it and hasn't had any starting or running troubles. Occasionally I have poured some mixed fuel in, but not lately -- only in a crunch situation. However, when the temp starts leaning toward zero F, he says it's a bear to start regardless. I have to wonder if that mixed fuel works a little like Marvel Mystery oil.

Oh, and guys, two more truckload orders just came in. Temp is supposed to hit -10 F tonight with wind chills -20 F. Looks like the folks have decided it's cold outside. Do you think these customers will scamper outside, help me unload the truck, and stack whatever I split and deliver?

Just talked to a logger who has the same engine as I do on his log splitter but a year younger. He's been running 2-cycle mixed fuel (50:1) since he bought it and hasn't had any starting or running troubles. Occasionally I have poured some mixed fuel in, but not lately -- only in a crunch situation. However, when the temp starts leaning toward zero F, he says it's a bear to start regardless. I have to wonder if that mixed fuel works a little like Marvel Mystery oil.

Oh, and guys, two more truckload orders just came in. Temp is supposed to hit -10 F tonight with wind chills -20 F. Looks like the folks have decided it's cold outside. Do you think these customers will scamper outside, help me unload the truck, and stack whatever I split and deliver?
Prime it like I suggested it will run.

I

Hate seafoam and cleaned hundreds of carbs with people running it because it doesn't condition fuel to last. I would instead use a product called Startron. It's the best and very potent. Like lone wolf said if you can prime it through the air intake than it should start asap with a weak needle. Check for a prefilter on the air filter. Have seen many of them ice up and prevent starting until warmer. Most air filter covers are black so they warm quickly in the sun but at cold temps they never warm enough.

If the coating has worn on the needle nothing will fix it but replacement. Doesn't sound like that though because once you get it going it runs fine. Sounds like a plugged pilot jet, clogged/wet air filter, or a choke that is not closing all the way.

!! "C-O-L-D" and the sale's are selling faster than I can deliver.. 2 cords today, two more tomorrow for a new customer and a second load the same customer I delivered to today on Friday....... not sure if its the cold snap or if its the calendar date and the credit card statements are in after Christmas and money left over?? either way bring it on!!! papa needs a new strickmaster 40 volt ice auger .... don't tell the wife "PLEASE" LOL

good way to go been doing this for the last 15 years and its a great money maker for them extra do-dads that I want ?? or er .. need! but don't sell your self short on 20 cords ! 50 don't do it for me!!!!!

It's a a simple identity equation. There is yet another arctic blast cold weather and snow threat creeping in around here. Several of my customers who already received a truckload or more of firewood are pressing the panic button and ordering another. So, to handle them all, I will need (1) a log splitter that won't conk out, (2) a truck that won't break down or slide off the road, (3) warm clothes, especially warm insulated gloves, (4) lots of dry rounds waiting to be split, (5) a strong body, and Lord knows what else -- maybe a tough German Shephard to guard the splits as I fill the orders.

Oh, and a few have asked strangely for an off-season discount, terrified that I will raise price because it's going to be very cold, even though I never have. That's senseless logic in my book.

Any comments or suggestions?

My last few winters have been mild and sales have been slow on the firewood side of things. Lots of BBQ wood sales though.
I sold out early because it's been colder this year. I could have sold twice what I had stocked on the yard. Is this just an extra cold winter this year, or are we moving into a cooler cycle? I think I'll try stocking a little more up for next year.
I never raise prices because it's cold or wood is hard to find. My price stays the same year round, always has.

I have two cords going out tonight. It's been very cold here for North Carolina 17* this am and 30s during the day. Good wood burning weather. I have some 2 year split seasoned & stacked oak left. My customers are loving it.

Kodiak kind of beat me to it. Try a lighter weight oil or a synthetic or synthetic blend oil for cold weather. Trying to pull over those air cooled small engines in cold weather to get them to start is tough. You can't pull the engine over fast enough for the carb to pull fuel from the tank if it has a heavy weight oil in the crankcase. Just a thought.

Glad your busy , cutting and splitting wood in the dead of winter with snow and cold is hard on the body, saws and machines.

I was going to suggest kind of the same thing but you never know what someone's particular situation is. They make a magnetic oil pan heater that runs off an extension cord that might work.

Stick a heater on it or pull it into the shop at night.
That may be the final solution. In fact, an old electric hair dryer for five minutes could get the job done. That seems to be all that it needs -- a little warmth. It might reach 30 F late tomorrow afternoon. I intend to try again. And, if the sun shines, that really makes a difference.

We have a few diesel heaters that we use to thaw engines, transmissions, fuel tanks.

Latest posts

Back