Contract climbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlproincky

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who's done it? How was/is it? What equipment do I need to get started?
Working on starting my career in tree care, I have near 3yrs experience as a part time climber. Self taught though I have worked with a certified arborist my area who used to train climbers, now I'm exploring the options at hand. Currently have all climbing gear i need and do plan to get certified and insured before taking on this journey. Question is, is it worth it? And what could I expect to be paid daily? What are the pros/cons? Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

me and my dad have been doing it here and there

equipment wise, I bring 2 guys (both are climbers, one ropes while the other climbs, safer for everyone and makes rescue easier if need be) full bag of ring slings and blocks in every size I could need, 1/2" and 3/4" rigging ropes, portawrap generally, GRCS, 3 saws minimum (T540Ixp, 194T and 500i, 200T sometimes)

also have a chipper and machine if we need, I carry GL insurance for the tree work, LLC since i'm operating a business, and have my Tennessee state workmans comp exemption for the company, generally charge $1100 a day, sometimes more if its a really crappy tree or if I wreck a lot of chains due to metal or concrete

is it worth it? thats on a job to job basis and depends on the company and crew you are working with, some people I LOVE to contract climb for, especially since they step aside and let me run the whole job which makes things smoother for everyone involved, other people I will never work for again, and from my experience, almost 100% of people calling to say "I need a climber right now because mine didn't show" will call and tell you to cancel half way to the job, so I don't like those ones

also keep in mind, most companies hiring contract climbers either A, don't have enough work or experience to justify having their own climber, or B won't send their guys up a tree for one reason or another (dead, power lines, etc)

so, know when to do a job, know when to walk, know when to run, having your own rope guy that knows his work can be a real life saver, I don't generally trust random people on the portawrap, especially if im rigging huge stuff (like today, big white oak with 60+ foot long limbs coming off in whole pieces with the GRCS)

Plus one on bringing your own groundie, that is nonnegotiable.
for real! on occasion I will go out and work with one specific guy and leave dad home if it's a small job, but thats only because he also works for me and has a lot of experience on the ground with me, and he listens well enough that I trust him, this is not normal and should never be expected

I highly, highly suggest your groundie have a way to rescue you, weather it's a ground lowerable climbing system, or the groundie is also a climber and has gear, I've never needed someone to come get me, but thats not to say it won't happen, things go wrong really freakin fast when you're climbing, quite often its all over before you know it happened

That the trouble, my brother is my groundie right now. Don't want to drag him into my dreams, if he don't want to.
then I suggest either hiring a groundie, or finding someone willing to come work for you for a fair wage ($50 an hour or something)

if they have a flexible schedule, even better, the one guy that I have kinda on-call to ground work for me (same one that I will climb for on my own without my own groundie) is a unemployed firewood guy, thats all he does, so I can call him and have him at my place in an hour if I really need, but generally a day or two notice about a job is all I need, teach them well and treat them well, give them no reason to leave and they tend to not complain

A quarterback is only as good as his receiver... you have to have a guy on the ground you know and trust
And it's really gotta be the same person on the ground, a climber swapping groundies 5x a week won't be very productive, but the same climber and groundie day after day can become unstable

Zin said it well, Don't be afraid to walk away because you may not be the 1st to walk away from the job. Also read any paperwork that you may sign. If you sign paperwork making you responsible for any damages make sure your the boss. Do it your way not the guy on the grounds way if it seems to risky. I've had a few experiences where I took big risks that I wasn't comfortable with and afterwards remembered the company that hired me didn't care since they weren't responsible and wanted it done as quickly as possible. If you can bring your own groundie that would be nice. But use the rigging gear your comfortable with and your ropes.
1/2", a thick rope at least 5/8th's and I like a beater rope for pulling over stuff or natural crotch rigging. Multiple blocks/rings in case ya need a redirect.

well, I ended up losing any future contract work with another company over some of the stuff we have mentioned here!

guy calls me, needs my dad to climb, me on the ground to run my GRCS and rope stuff, and a chipper, I have to run the chipper due to liability, so I'm running the GRCS, then run about 100ft over to the chipper and wait on the mini to drag each piece to it, keep in mind we are chipping into his dump trailer, so I'm also having to get up in there to rake chips down so they don't spill over the sides

so, I'm doing all that, at no point in any deal EVER with this guy, was I supposed to drag brush, this is important later

when he originally called, he said it'd be one day, climb the bit over the house and drop the rest, chip anything <4"dia into the woods, easy peasy, not even a big tree

we show up to a 40" DBH white oak, limbs 50-70 feet long and the tree is well over 110 feet tall, limbs over the house, need to rig them down, can't drop the other side because the neighbors driveway and one of the larger sewer mains for the county, above ground through the woods, we drop anything that way and it'll be a crappy situation! oh and the woods aren't owned by the customer, so no chipping into those, there went a LOT of time

tree took us 3 days, we started on friday, saturday I have to re-schedule work to help him (I told the guy I had to leave by 4PM, he said no and that I would have to re-schedule, come to think about it, shoulda packed my stuff and left the minute he said this, I wasn't supposed to even be there day Saturday)

we ended up chipping anything that would fit because he was tired of moving logs and cutting stuff, not sure that made anything faster
he tried to tell me how to run my chipper (he doesn't own one, only experience is one or two day rentals)
he can't even untie a bowline, and he claims to be a climber yet he doesn't even own a climb line, just a flipline, saddle and spikes, and I let him try my stuff out, almost had to rescue him because he locked up 10 feet off the ground

we showed up early Sunday, last day to help (because he's headed to florida Monday), its pouring rain on us, no work's being done till it quits raining

I had a limb fall out of the tree while I'm standing under a huge piece we are lowering, this idiot took a 2500 ish pound piece and pulled it directly onto my lowering line, can't lower that now can I? the piece that fell gave me one hell of a bump ontop of my head, almost knocked me out, and he literally told me to walk it off and keep working

then, come night of day 3, he texts me at about 11:30 with a MASSIVE paragraph about how horrible I am as a ground guy and that he will never call me again because I said I wouldn't drag brush or cut anything, took 20 minutes to read it

keep in mind, first job we did for him was a no-cleanup, charged him $1100 for climber, rope guy and GRCS, he moved brush, that was that
this job he wanted a climber, GRCS, chipper, and someone to drag brush, for you guessed it, $1100 a day, hell no, not gonna happen

part of his paragraph he left me was that hes paying for 2 climbers and not 1 climber and a half assed ground guy... dafuq? who's gonna run the chipper AND GRCS that he had me bring? not him or his crackhead helper, I could tell that from the minute I saw that he can't tie his throwline to his throw ball (he cuts it off every throw and leaves the line on the ring...)

so, if this means anything to anyone, GET A CONTRACT, also, no matter what, the other guys flake on you and make it seem like your problem, had another one a few months ago, dude said "itll be 2 hours tops, I will be there with a grapple truck soon as you start"

we show up, its a maple next to 3 phase, and over a house + service drop, theres lights and lag bolts we have to pull out after waiting 30+ minutes on the homeowner to answer the door, then we have to move about 50 potted plants out of the dropzone, theres no parking or anything so we are parked up the road and carrying equipment to the tree, takes us the 2 hours just to get set up

drop zone on this ~40ft maple is about 15ft x 30ft, its directly in the middle, so really only leaves us a few feet on any side to drop stuff, 2nd tree we were to take down was blocked by the customers trailer, he can't move it because he sold his truck, I have to move it with my machine, so that took a bit too, original plan was to not move it because the grapple truck could pick it out in one piece and miss the trailer

the guy we were working for/grapple truck dude called me about 3 hours in telling me he wasn't gonna show up, the plan was for him to put brush in his truck as it came down so I wouldn't have to handle it a lot, well now im cutting and stacking in the neighbors yard to get it out of the way

job took us 8 hours instead of the 2 he said it would, yes I billed for it, a LOT for it to be exact

this was a few months ago, just this week he called me drunk to complain about how long we took, like dude, you never even showed up till we were gone, if you had the grapple there and the tree was ready to go like you said, it would have been a 2 hour tree easy, he cut me off to tell me "DonT BulChiT Me"

so yeah, sometimes it goes great, but lots of the time they complain about everything, don't do their job, make it your problem, and expect lots of free stuff

maybe have a pricing system per tool/machine if you bring extras, and this has to be part of the contract they agree to, so come time to get bent over because they messed up, you can write out a bill for exactly what you need, and they gots to pay it

my fault for not having a contract, I have NEVER had a contract for a tree job, and have NEVER had an issue except when working for other companies, so next time I work for another company I guess i'm gonna whip out the 10 page contract + damage waiver & payment plan

Back