Cost to rebuild 024?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shipped some ignition modules from that neck of the woods one time for the 056 Stihl's and it wasn't cheap but I needed the parts. I used to have boxes of 024 and 026 parts but I traded them, I think I still have 2 brand new OEM pistons for the 026/260 pro in both bore sizes somewhere. I built a lot of them from carcasses.

Buddy who has retired from firewood gave me his Stihl 024. He told me it has low compression, which I quickly confirmed. Not much power and it smokes pretty good. I had one many years ago and seized the engine. Wished many times I had rebuilt that one. Anyway, any ideas of what it will cost for a complete rebuild of this engine?

Thanks!

Tim
The fact that it runs, albeit poorly is a good sign. It could be as simple as poor fuel and a mis-adjusted carburetor.

Are you planning to do the work yourself? To have the saw torn down and repaired by a local saw shop would likely exceed the value of a new replacement saw. That said, the 024 is a pretty simple saw to work on and would be good experience to have if you own similar equipment to maintain.

I would purchase a T-27 TORX driver and remove the muffler to look at the piston skirt, as that will speak volumes as to the internal condition of the saw. The piston skirt on an 024 can look really ugly, but the cylinder can be perfectly serviceable.

Keep us informed as to your progress.

Talked with my dealer this week when I was there to pick up a hedge trimmer to prune my Christmas trees. Its pretty clear he does not want to touch it, nor thinks its worth the investment. Given that I have 4 solid working saws and cut about 10 face cord a year, I am going to let the 024 sit. Thanks for all your responses and offers to help. I will post back if I decide to proceed.

It all depends on what's actually wrong with it. You initially asked for the cost of a full rebuild which can be very expensive. But like others have said, it might just need a few odds and ends to get it running nicely. Sure, it might not be fully reliable unless you really dig into it, but if you want a winter project and a sweet running saw at the end, this could be a good one.

Take a look at the exhaust side piston skirt. If it's in decent shape, it might just need some new rings. If it's scored, figure out why and keep your eyes peeled for parts.

Buying a new saw is almost always cheaper than having an old one rebuilt by a dealer, but don't let that scare you off. You'll save loads on labor if you tinker with it yourself.

It all depends on what's actually wrong with it. You initially asked for the cost of a full rebuild which can be very expensive. But like others have said, it might just need a few odds and ends to get it running nicely. Sure, it might not be fully reliable unless you really dig into it, but if you want a winter project and a sweet running saw at the end, this could be a good one.

Take a look at the exhaust side piston skirt. If it's in decent shape, it might just need some new rings. If it's scored, figure out why and keep your eyes peeled for parts.

Buying a new saw is almost always cheaper than having an old one rebuilt by a dealer, but don't let that scare you off. You'll save loads on labor if you tinker with it yourself.
They are a very easy saw to work on, I have done loads of the 026`s and a few 024`s, built from the split cases on up. The only tools needed are a slim shaft T handled T27 screwdriver, a threaded flywheel puller that fits inside the threaded hub makes flywheel removal very much easier and a torch or heat gun to help with case split and bearing install is about all one needs to overhaul them, the rest is just basic hand tools. If there is less work required like just a piston re ring that is very simple mechanics.

I ran an 024S converted to an 026 with whatever that fractional size piston is a couple of days this week cutting up field trash. Think I have $52 in it. Chinese top end and carb. Doesn't have the best compression in the world, but runs and idles fine.
It would of had a 44 mm piston stock, the 44.7 came in the MS 260 later, the AM setups could be either one, very easy saw to work on for first timers.

Back