Council Axes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
If this is going to be your wedge axe you may want to reconsider having the edge razor sharp. I realize you have a scabbard but most fallers prefer a slightly dull edge for swamping that holds up better than a sharp edge.

Most of the fallers I know would agree with you. A duller edge is also a lot less likely to slice you open if you fall on it. If it's sharp enough to chop myself out of a bind it's fine with me.

CTYank

CTYank

Peripatetic Sawyer
I don't deal with trees anything like huge west coast conifers, so the 3.5 lb Council Tool "Jersey pattern" axe I got from Bailey's a year+ back for $25 (now going for $50) works great for me. I use it for driving 5-8" wedges for bucking, and light limbing.

Apparently Council Tool now makes utilitarian tools like that axe and bucks-up heirloom axes. Choice is good.

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
Finding a decent straight handle is almost impossible. I spent a whole day awhile back digging through handle barrels in several stores and found two.
It's also hard to find an axe with a good flat head with enough striking surface to make up for my hit and miss axe technique. I usually have my favorite blacksmith add a little to the head and then grind it back down.

_RJ_

Professional Nobody
I don't deal with trees anything like huge west coast conifers, so the 3.5 lb Council Tool "Jersey pattern" axe I got from Bailey's a year+ back for $25 (now going for $50) works great for me. I use it for driving 5-8" wedges for bucking, and light limbing.

Apparently Council Tool now makes utilitarian tools like that axe and bucks-up heirloom axes. Choice is good.

Nothing wrong with that setup. I'm into axe restoration and I find it best to match whatever haft to whatever head I feel like.

Here you can see my 3lbs. Collins with 26" handle I refinished, leaning by the fence. Crappy pear tree I cut today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429666479.686929.jpg

Long Bar 60

Long Bar 60

ArboristSite Operative
Seemed like the right thread for this- long story but my boss told me that my 5 LB. Gransfors Bruks Stroax axes had become collectors items and were worth $500 each. "Yea right" I thought. So I looked it up on the World Wide Interweb (where everything is true) and guess what? One had just sold for $767!!! I have 3 of them. And now I have a retirement plan too!

cuznguido

cuznguido

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
I am a big fan of Council Tool stuff. They have several axes that are just as good as the Velvicut for much less money, and I consider even the Velvicut a good deal. Biggest difference in them is appearance and finish, and sometimes the handle quality. IMO they are as good as anybody's.