Crack in My Fir Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevran

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

There is what seems to be a crack (maybe two) running vertically in the bark of my 60+ foot-tall fir tree (see photos). There is sap in the crack. Also perhaps of note is that the other day, the top 7 feet of the tree with lots of fresh cones from this year's growth snapped off.

Any ideas on what (if anything) is wrong with this tree?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_4674.jpg
    IMG_4674.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4676.jpg
    IMG_4676.jpg
  • IMG_4677.jpg
    IMG_4677.jpg
  • IMG_4678.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4679.jpg
    IMG_4679.jpg
  • IMG_4673.jpg
    IMG_4673.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4680.jpg
    IMG_4680.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I'd say the broken end of that limb is a good clue as to the cause.. but not being an arborist, I couldn't say positively what happened.
I did find this information:
https://www.urbanforestprofessionals.com/blog/beware-of-sudden-branch-drop/

One of the possible causes listed is:
  • tissue shrinkage in the tree limb (due to heat)
That's what it looks like to me.
pine.jpg

has it been excessively hot and dry where you are?

What do you think @ATH ?

I'd say the broken end of that limb is a good clue as to the cause.. but not being an arborist, I couldn't say positively what happened.
I did find this information:
https://www.urbanforestprofessionals.com/blog/beware-of-sudden-branch-drop/

One of the possible causes listed is:
  • tissue shrinkage in the tree limb (due to heat)
That's what it looks like to me.
View attachment 1204144

has it been excessively hot and dry where you are?

What do you think @ATH ?
Thanks for the link.

There's been lots of precipitation this season. And it's been a cool year.
Rapid growth, especially as it's a fir, combined with some wind. Do you have bears around? A medium to large critter could have broken it if climbing it.

I'd guess wind or it's two trees that grew as one and is weakening/rotting.

Can you post a pic of the broken end of the limb that fell off, showing the inside of the limb?

I didn't see the first photo somehow.

After seeing that, I think you may be right about the lightning. There was clearly something that happened as that ridge runs from the fork down. Whether two trees or one tree, there was some kind of damage that didn't leave a running-gaping wound. Likely a streak of lightning.

Just a friggin tree and not your wife. I'm sure you have more and I agree, looks like a lightening strike. What usually occurs when the spit is vertical like yours and it will never recover and always be a liability. Have a big maple in the front yard that has been hit numerous times and bears the scars. I let it do it's thing anyway and it keeps on growing but it's not up by the house in the first place. If it croaks, I'll call one of my arborist customers with a High Ranger and have them cut it down and cut it up for burn pile wood as I don't heat with wood anyway. I'll have him chip up the branches too and he gives the chips to local businesses for ground cover around their plantings. All good with me. Dyed wood chips are expensive here btw.

Have had two 60,70 foot tall, 26" DBH spruce near our camp in Carrabassett Valley Maine hit by lightening. Both had the notch for much of their height in a single line from the butt much of the way up. Both had ants enter the notch and damage the center of the tree. One we cut down and then found the ant damage and rot in the base. The other was blown over in a cold front passage and busted up our small front porch. As sidecarflip said, trees hit by lightening are not going to recover and they are always going to be a liability...you just never know when and aside from the ligtening notch, the ant and rot damage in the butt may not be apparent. A half inch 32 inch long drill bit can give a hint of the interior conditon if the cuttings go from light wood to brown rot. That sort of drilling is a reasonable service for an arborist to offer his customer.

Seems to clearlybe lightning strike. They are common here in Georgia and are usually followed by heart-rot.

Seperate note: I have a good neighbor that had some trees serviced not long ago and they left a Liriodendron Tulipfera with a bad lightning strike in place. It is a big tree and just recently started showing a large "mushroom" growing from the crack at ground level.
This tree will come down - one way or the other......

Back