Cutting times

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got a few compepitive times today on various smaller saws I had gassed up.
Fourteen inch hickory log cut about 6 months ago.

Solo635 - 63 seconds. Efco 940 - 30 seconds. Jonsered 2150 - 20 seconds. Efco 952 - 20 seconds
Efco 956 - 16 seconds. Jonsered 2159 stock 35 seconds ( 2 slices ). Jonsered 2159 KD - 24 seconds ( 2 slices )

I will finish tommorrow. I have a Solo 651, and a Jonsered 2171 I will gas up, and also an Efco 981 I can borrow back for a test. Oh, Ya, a 2095 also. And the neighbor has got an 046M. I might try it, If I don't have to overhaul it first.

Its tempting to gas one of everything up to test, but I dont think I will right now; I will save the log though.

Last edited:
Tony, curious to see how the 651 measures up, I finally found a
local servicing dealer and ordered the 4hp version. It should be
in Monday. What is a Efco 952? I am only familiar with the JD
sister machines and don't know where that one lines up.
What bar/chain combo are you running on the 2159KD son
of a gun? Anxiously awaiting the return of my Greffard 2171.
I don't care what anyone says, Jons ain't rude..............

Later

Efco recently put a 947 and a 952 in their line. They are semi pro modular type saws like the 345/350 Huskys, crankcase has metal bottom, chassis is wonder plastic. They seem to be good saws. The 956 is their sweet running saws for the money, that would be the CS56 JD.

The 2159 KD runs 3/8 full chisel ground back to where the gauge drop is about .016 to keep the rpms up. It is a good conversation item. There are not many hot saws around here, much less mid cc ones.

I'm gonna get one with a pipe but I'm not sure amoung the 981 Efco, the 2095 Jonsered, or the new 694 Solo. These 694s my be so well designed that not as much will be gained. I'm gonna talk a little with the experts.

There are larger saws around here but you really don't see them being used but very rarely. About 70 to 95 cc is what is being used for log work.

Do you know anyone who has much field time with the 956?
Specs out much like the old Stihl 034 super, which is a personal
favorite. Are they fast chain, or torque monsters? I have to agree
on the money side, 300 bucks for a 4.1 hp 12lb. machine is pretty
doggone enticing. How does Tilton treat you down there? As
usual, the dealers up here who try to push the 2171 are getting
beat up by the Husky 372 pricing. People shop around more than
they used to. Is bag n' drag heading our way again this fall?

Tilton is O.K. except for laying off some of their salesman. They also have apparently been resourcing their chain and bars; don't bother me much, I buy the Carlton.

The 656 is more of a speed saw. They have the 962 on the same frame that don't seem as fast, but has more lugging power. I haven't had anyone with a lot of hours on a 956.

2171 s are a great saw but a harder sell because of pricing.

Bag and drag is on the big frame saws 971 & 981. Same on Jonsered; the pro models.

You have to cut price a little to match Husky pricing. It must be that direct marketing, there is not much distribution level mark up in there. Tilton seems to be at a disadvantage at pricing Jonsered.

Yes, I believe the 2077, 2088 might have been partners had they kept partner going. One distributor salesman tells me no, another yes. The are very good running saws.

Last edited:
Tony, just curious, do you not think the 962 is all that great? wondering how a 4.1 hp saw could be that good compared to a 4.7... Aren't they both the same rated no load rpm? Based on pwr/weight specs only, the 962 is the only Efco that is tops in the class.

I've been considering getting a 962, and was offered a dealer setup by Tilton. (No dealers anywhere near me) Been to busy to do anything about it...

Thanks...

Nice gains on the 359-KD, an open port design I think, so I'd assume a bit less pwr gains compared to closed port...

Guys, I tested some more today. The data sheet is getting too large. I have it as Word document or as a jpg from my scanner but can't figure out how to get it into my post. Can anyone help?

-----------------------------------

The most startling thing I have observed so far is that a stock (but broken in about 2 hours) 2149 blew away the 651 20 sec : 25 sec. I just didn't expect that.

rbtree, You will not be disappointed in the Efco saws. I will work a 962 into these test times, I just hesitant about fueling all these saws. I sold one to a guy I'm gonna call. Offer him a free check-up.

As a jpg, just post it as you would a pic. Use the browse feature, find it on your hard drive and click on the file. It should be under 150 kb or so.

Back