Dawn Redwood root girdling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.D

Reaction score
Bought a large Dawn Redwood from a nursery.

Was delivered a few days ago. Was in a hurry before work and wanted to get it in the ground before the rains.

After it was planted I noticed no noticeable root flare. So I began to dig down. To my surprise I was about 5 inches down and still no sign of a root flare but many badly girdling roots!

The tree is so deformed I couldn't really tell where the flar should be. Here are some pictures. Will this tree ever recover or will it always be deformed?

The picture with my hand is where they had the dirt level at.
7774641619513005289.jpg1226501149952625049 (1).jpgIMG_20241004_120331946.jpgIMG_20241005_155258951_HDR.jpg

I would send the photo to the nursery you bought it from and then take it back.

If they won't give your money back or replace it with a good tree then I'd leave the tree right there.

That's defective nursery stock.

Yeah I'll have to give them a call tomorrow when they open.... It's a shame because the tree itself is really nice. I don't have many nurseries around me, so findng another one to replace it will be hard. This was the only one at the Nursery I bought it from.

Talked to the owner Monday over the phone. As soon as I tried to say how bad the roots were he went off and would hardly let me get a word in. Saying I ruined a perfectly healthy tree and the cage and burlap is supposed to stay on the tree. Saying it was a professionally grown tree and called me an amateur that ruined it.

Which I find funny because I never said I removed the burlap and cage. Tried explaining how the trunk was buried 10 inches to deep and there is no visable root flare from being so deformed.

The owner was very unprofessional with how he acted not letting me talk and just kept running his mouth. He then said he had another call and had to go. So I yelled at him and said I'll be there in 20 min.

So I get there and the owner conveniently is out on a job at that time. So spoke with his wife and another worker there.
They at first tried defending it saying all trees have root girdling. Also trying to say the same thing about not messing with the root ball or basket
Which I called them out on and told them to look at the pictures and tell me to my face that it's fine and the tree is good. You can clearly see the rope marks 10 inches up the trunk where the soil was up to. Told them you have to check for the root flare and remove any soil so you know how deep to make the hole, so don't tell me you are not supposed to do anything with it.

They then changed their tune and agreed that the pictures show everything that needs to be said. Had me send the pics to her phone and said she will talk to him and be in touch. Have not heard back from them yet.... Will give them another day and if I don't hear anything then I'm making another trip in and hopefully the owner is there then.

Latest posts

Back