Descending 3/4” Bull Rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not proper by any means, never supposed to rappel on a rigging line

that being said, I quite often set a rope to pull a stem or whole tree over, and rappel down the rigging line on a figure 8, again, NOT ADVISABLE, NOT SAFE, NOT ANSI APPROVED

just how I do it, rescue 8 descender, prusik backup on it, works great, as does a munter hitch but good luck doing a munter with such a large rope

Yeah, rescue 8 is the ticket, and honestly, **** osha... if I trust a rope to pull a tree over, I trust it to get my skinny ass out if the tree... and vice versa, if I don't trust it to rappel out, I certainly dont trust it to pull a tree over...
hit the nail on the head!

I've climbed on some non climbing rated stuff before (shackles, quicklinks, etc), is it safe? probably, approved? absolutely not

my last crane job I was hanging about 160ft in the air off a 1 1/4" crosby shackle around the cranes cable, wired shut with a marking flag, did I die? nah, did I forget my crane bag with all my rigging and tie in? yup, job got done tho

the right way is usually the right way, but not always, never say never

Yeah, rescue 8 is the ticket, and honestly, **** osha... if I trust a rope to pull a tree over, I trust it to get my skinny ass out if the tree... and vice versa, if I don't trust it to rappel out, I certainly dont trust it to pull a tree over...

hit the nail on the head!

I've climbed on some non climbing rated stuff before (shackles, quicklinks, etc), is it safe? probably, approved? absolutely not

my last crane job I was hanging about 160ft in the air off a 1 1/4" crosby shackle around the cranes cable, wired shut with a marking flag, did I die? nah, did I forget my crane bag with all my rigging and tie in? yup, job got done tho

the right way is usually the right way, but not always, never say never

In the woods, following OSHA regulations are likely to get you killed or maimed in many situations.

Back