Diffrence between a stihl 045 super and 045 super ii

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw mike1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I have a stihl 045 super II and was wondering what the difference was between it and the 045 super? It was a one owner saw before me and it runs great! And since it runs so good I haven't pulled it apart to check the cc's all I did is pull the muffler off to look at the piston. It doesn't have the side exit muffler like the 056 super does. I anyone with any info would on them would be a great help!! THANKS, BIG MIKE

045 Super's are a torque-monster for sure, never heard of the II either. Here's mine:

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

The Super II and its full specs are listed on the Chainsaw Collector's Corner site. I wonder if the II means it was built in Brazil, like the 038 Mag II. If memory serves, the only difference between the 038 Mag and Mag II is where they were manufactured.

The Super II and its full specs are listed on the Chainsaw Collector's Corner site. I wonder if the II means it was built in Brazil, like the 038 Mag II. If memory serves, the only difference between the 038 Mag and Mag II is where they were manufactured.

Well, I don't know. I have had 3 056s in the past and no 045s. But on the plus side it runs as hard as my 056 super. I'm gonna put the dual exit muffler on it some time today.

The 045 Super II is made in Germany with all the other Pro saws of that era, I think the only difference is the name plate and that maybe the Super II came standard with a chain brake but I could be wrong about that. All 045 supers have 87cc engines and have the same prefix as all 045's. Here is a pic of my 045 Super.
Photo0076.jpg

Photo0075.jpg

The 045 Super II is made in Germany with all the other Pro saws of that era, I think the only difference is the name plate and that maybe the Super II came standard with a chain brake but I could be wrong about that. All 045 supers have 87cc engines and have the same prefix as all 045's. Here is a pic of my 045 Super.
Photo0076.jpg

Photo0075.jpg

Well It dident have a side cover on it when I got it, so I don't know if it had a brake or not. I'm gonna put one on though. I like to have them. My local dealer has a used one for me in his spare parts

There's alot of talk about the so-called Super IIs here that is totally unsubstantiated. There is no mention of them in the Stihl IPLs or any other literature I've ever seen. I suspect some past builder tagged his 045s as such. An 045 with a factory chainbrake would be tagged as an 045AVEQ or 045AVSEQ. If someone could come up with factory documentation of these Super IIs, I will be happy to bow out.

That said, not all 045/056 chainbrakes are created equal. There is a version out there that requires a longer bar stud (the rear stud). Don't know why, just a goofy Stihl thing. And the early ones looked to actually have friction lining on the band.

Chris B.

I have seen actual top covers with the Super II Stihl plates riveted on. The Stihl 045 where in black and the Super II in orange if I remember correctly.

I have seen actual top covers with the Super II Stihl plates riveted on. The Stihl 045 where in black and the Super II in orange if I remember correctly.

The only picture I've ever seen had a sticker between the ignition and choke controls. Looked good.

Like this:

IMG014.jpg

That particular saw has the 056 piped muffler, which never came to be during 045 production.

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back