Diffrence between a stihl 045 super and 045 super ii

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only picture I've ever seen had a sticker between the ignition and choke controls. Looked good.

Like this:

IMG014.jpg

That particular saw has the 056 piped muffler, which never came to be during 045 production.

Chris B.

It's nice to finally see another one! I didn't know for 100 percent if it was original, but now I'm shure of it. I did put the 056 super muffler on mine. It did have the clearance on the cylinder for the side pipe. And it was 87cc's, I took it apart today just to see!

I had a nice 045 super II once, i sold it last winter. I belive they came that way, but dont know what makes it a super II. If you search (045 super cutforfun) it will show up and there are some pictures of it. It was one of the nicest i have seen. i think i still have the original manual that come with the saw i will go look.

I had a nice 045 super II once, i sold it last winter. I belive they came that way, but dont know what makes it a super II. If you search (045 super cutforfun) it will show up and there are some pictures of it. It was one of the nicest i have seen. i think i still have the original manual that come with the saw i will go look.

Well I looked it up and that's one fine looking saw! I think all the 045 super II's are coming out of the woodworks! :) I got mine on trade to do a tune-up and sharpen on a 032. I think I got the better end of that trade. The older man I got it from said it was just too big and the 032 was just right. I'll sharpen his chains for life!!!

I finally got my Super on video.

[video=youtube;5KfvTEVnu1k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KfvTEVnu1k[/video]

I love the sound of the 87cc Stihl engine. My saw has a older 045 av starter housing on it and will get changed back to a original one with the orange tag.

I finally got my Super on video.

I love the sound of the 87cc Stihl engine. My saw has a older 045 av starter housing on it and will get changed back to a original one with the orange tag.

Nice! I used mine on a 60" maple today, took 2 cuts because of my 36" bar. As soon as I can figure out how to post videos I will. I have a good one of me running my 045 and my brother-in-law running my 056av at the same time.

Just a small thing but both of the saws with the Super II plates have the cut outs at the bottom of the air filter cover. As far as I knew these only came on the 056 Mag II. Then again the covers interchange or they can be fairly easily modified.

Just a small thing but both of the saws with the Super II plates have the cut outs at the bottom of the air filter cover. As far as I knew these only came on the 056 Mag II. Then again the covers interchange or they can be fairly easily modified.

I'm not near my saws, but pretty sure at least one of my 045s has that vented airbox cover.

Chris B.

My 045 Super has the cut outs at the bottom of the filter cover, if it is original to this saw.
Photo0077.jpg

Someday I'll get to try an 87cc one. I only have trigger time on the 92cc ones, and a small bore, early "straight" 045 AV. Nice looking saws, guys.

My 045 and my 056av have the cut-outs on them. I can't remember on my old 056 super... I sold it to a friend, so I might take a look today.

My 045 and my 056av have the cut-outs on them. I can't remember on my old 056 super... I sold it to a friend, so I might take a look today.

I'm even more confused now :confused2:
Just had a quick look at the IPL s ( although they seem to vary according to which version you have grabbed) and only 1115 141 1000 without the cut outs is shown for the 045. 056 IPL shows option of 1115 141 1020 with cut outs for Mag II. Over here in the UK I've never seen one with the extra slots but Stihl seemed to do all sorts with these saws. Later 045 saws seem to be pretty much identical to an 056. Regardless of what it says on the top cover it can be hard working out exactly what you have got.

I'm even more confused now :confused2:
Just had a quick look at the IPL s ( although they seem to vary according to which version you have grabbed) and only 1115 141 1000 without the cut outs is shown for the 045. 056 IPL shows option of 1115 141 1020 with cut outs for Mag II. Over here in the UK I've never seen one with the extra slots but Stihl seemed to do all sorts with these saws. Later 045 saws seem to be pretty much identical to an 056. Regardless of what it says on the top cover it can be hard working out exactly what you have got.

Ya! But its been kinda fun trying to find stuff out about this saw. From what I have seen and heard this saw is kinda a odd-ball! And I though my 048 was the odd one in my collection of stihls!! But without the help of the great people on this site this wouldn't have been possible! Thanks everyone HAPPY CUTTING, BIG MIKE

The 045 Super II is made in Germany with all the other Pro saws of that era, I think the only difference is the name plate and that maybe the Super II came standard with a chain brake

I had to confirm that at Mike Acre's site...because I had thought the Super ll's had a larger motor. I bought a 45 Super new back in about 1978....and remember the ll coming out and hearing they were hopped up, and had small end rod bearing troubles.

I now have a 056 Mag ll with the big 5.7 ci motor, that I got for $200. It needs some help with the lower antivib mount, which is eroded away. Andy says he can fashion it with some good epoxy work. If I could get it prettied up, it might bring $350 or better.....there's no doubt it's a strong running saw!

Got my first 045 the other day. Love to hear it runs, music to my ears. I’ve read a lot about 038 mag 1 & 2 but it seems like nobody knows for sure what the differences are if there are any. I have both and both were made in West Germany so Stihl didn’t label them cuz of their different origins as someone said above. And that is 038, forget about 045 super and super 2 or 056 mag 1 and 2 they will be forever unsolved mystery.

Attachments

• IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    1.7 MB

Latest posts

Back