dirty case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayard

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have a few saws that are so caked with crud, that the only way to clean them is to sand blast them.but it seems that to blast them i need to take the case a part.if i leave the jug on ,i can keep sand out of the case.this stuff is like concrete.i dislike taking the case a part if i do not have to.is there a better way?.i do not know how anyone could do this to a saw.k

i have a few saws that are so caked with crud, that the only way to clean them is to sand blast them.but it seems that to blast them i need to take the case a part.if i leave the jug on ,i can keep sand out of the case.this stuff is like concrete.i dislike taking the case a part if i do not have to.is there a better way?.i do not know how anyone could do this to a saw.k

If you don't mind scratching the paint a little, use a screwdriver. <--- Likely just made a bunch of guys here shudder...

I would refrain from blasting any type of media (be it sand, soda, etc.) at a saw for fear of where it may end up. On most saws the crud gets caked in the cooling fins and to get to them you will need to partially disassemble the saw anyway. A collection of awls, screwdrivers and other scratching/scraping instruments and a healthy dose of compressed air should do the trick.

I had some saws that were caked with debris. I took them to the car wash and used the hose to wash them. I held the hose back and was careful around sesitive areas. It did a wonderful job cleaning them. Most times I just use an air hose.

If you are going to Bead blast, Don't sand blast it....

Or dip it in a boil out tank at your local machine shop.

caked on

you can not see any white paint.1/8 to 1/4 thick.real bad.the 064 i had to split the case any way.not to big of a deal just time.but the 044 is bad.k

I spray bad ones with degreaser then let it soak in.A stiff nylon brush gets a lot off, then do it again if theres any stubborn bits.When its as good as its going to get i strip it and soak in hot water and detergent, scrubbing with the nylon brush some more.
Blasting would surely create more problems than it solves

Back