Dozer Rollover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to me like the crawler is pretty much undamaged. Roll it back over, check the fluids, pull the injectors and allow the engine to turn over and belch out any diesel or lube oil that might hydrolock the motor and carry on and install a more proficient operator as well.

not much winch cable on that winch, I cant see any hook or clevis either.

I've done some sketchy stuff in my dozer, but I will ALWAYS walk it before hand if dont look right, a quick hike would of showed these guys what they were up against. grouser pads dont have much traction on solid rock

not much winch cable on that winch, I cant see any hook or clevis either.

I've done some sketchy stuff in my dozer, but I will ALWAYS walk it before hand if dont look right, a quick hike would of showed these guys what they were up against. grouser pads dont have much traction on solid rock
Perhaps he was trying to winch himself up to the ridge and the cable snapped inside the drum?

I included the write up in the original post. Here's a paragraph which states that they did walk over the area.

The Dozer Operator and Heavy Equipment Boss had walked the ground to scout out the mission before they engaged.After talking it over, they agreed that this indirect dozer line mission in this location was doable. They decided it was a good plan. While risk was involved, this risk was acceptable because of the other trade-off options available to them at the time—backing off to more favorable country at the cost of allowing the fire to grow bigger and putting more unburned fuel between the firefighters and the fire. They did not realize that they were on a large rock face until after the dozer was already embroiled in an uncontrolledslide. If they knew what the outcome was going to be, they most certainly would not have engaged

No winching was done. In some places it would be difficult to find an anchor for a winch. This is armchair comment, but I see a steep slope that a very experienced operator might do because as long as they keep the machine going STRAIGHT down the hill, it's doable. Have seen guys do this--usually the old guys who have the experience. It was the rock, hidden underneath duff and dirt that got him.

There is usually somebody walking ahead, flagging in where they want the dozer to go. I am assuming that that person is the one conferring with the dozer operator.

Latest posts

Back