Echo CS510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brush Stomper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello to All,
I've read the posts on here for some time and decided to join in.
I don't do a lot of chainsaw work but do need to cut wood for our fireplace insert and cut trees out of fencelines and roads on the ranch. My biggest saw is obselete and wearing out. It's an old 50cc Poulan I bought in about 1990 with no chain brake- has a plastic hand guard -no brake. I have been looking at a Echo CS510 at the Husky dealer for $349.00. Also looking at a 346xp for 399.00 and Stihl MS260 with case for $399.00. Please give me your opinions on these saws. I don't want to start a brand war or anything though.
Also I would like your feelings on the Husky55R.
I enjoy your forum very much and have learned a lot from it. I've been using chain saws about 20 years-not for a living just when I need to.
I'll appreciate your comments .
Thanks --Brush Stomper

Im not sure im the best person to answer this question but ill give it a shot. Both saws you mentioned (Stihl and Husky) are excellent saws. You will get good service from both the Stihl and the Husky. The 346xp is a great little saw and I believe it will outcut the 026, but i am not positive on that. The 55R is a bigger saw than the other two as far as engine size, but with similar power. The 55R is more of a consumer saw, but will still give you good service. It all depends on your preference, and how good your local dealers are.

Horsepower ratings:
55r = 3.3 hp
346 = 3.4 hp
260 = 3.5 hp

I dont really think you can go wrong with any of these saws. I cant comment on the Echo saw as I have no experience with it. Good luck and welcome to the site.

Rob

Hi Kenny, welcome!
As far as which saw, it depends on what you are looking for. The Husky 346XP and the Stihl 026 are the two best saws in their class. These are professional quality saws built for commercial use. Both brands also have 'homeowner' models which are not even in the same league.
The Echo is also a strong performer, although maybe not quite as solid of a saw as the commercial versions from Stihl and Husky. But it is a MUCH better saw than the 'homeowner' models (example- Stihl 025 or 029).

So if you want one of the best saws built in that size, designed for heavy commercial duty service, either the Stihl 026 or Husky 346XP will fit the bill. If you want a good value saw that will still last you 10 years or more without a problem, the Echo will do that.

All good saws, but I'm a bit surprised the husky dealer didn't also show you the Husky 351, very similar to the 346xp, except a few more cc's, and a little less of a hot-rod...same weight and about same power, but a bit cheaper most places.

echo is a good value for money product. Not a fast cutter when compared to the others. (BUT - in this case given the prices of the 346 and 260 that you provided the extra $50 is well worth it to move up!) I think you'd be disappointed if you compared the echo to the two pro saws.

the 55rancher is a solid saw for someone around the farm who needs a saw that can handle multitudes of tasks and come out shining. Its a consumer saw but a very good one, ie. has plastic crankcase. The 55 model might have a magnesium crankcase, but I am not sure.

The 346xp and the 026 are by far the picks from this bunch. They are both "pro saws", meaning they are built for professional use, magnesium crankcases etc. The 346 will outcut an 026 relatively easily, but the feel of these saws is somewhat different. Cutting techniques to be used with these saws are also somewhat different. You have to pick both up and try them out on a log if possible. If not pick them up and see which one feels better.

Husky 55R

The Husky 55 and 55R are the same saw except the 55 has a compression release and the 55R does not. I am not sure but think the 55 is not even available anymore. The 55R is a great saw, not consumer grade at all. It does not have a plastic case as was stated on this thread. It is a great saw for the money if not the best saw for the money in either Husky or Stihls line up (can be had for $325). My area Husky dealer and my area Stihl dealer both assured me that any Husky saw with the black tag riveted to it's case with serial # etc. is a great Husky saw - a swedish made saw. Husky's consumer grade saws such as the 350 and all do not have this black ID tag and are Husky's consumer grade to stay away from. I know the 55's and 55R's are good and tried and true - There are 3 of them in my family and none of them has missed a beat. The oldest of the 3 is a 1998 model 55 that now needs oiler attention due to my wife's grandfather running it without oil for several tanks of fuel. Oil pump now seems weak. This is the very first hint of any repair work any of these 3 Husky 55's have needed since we have bought them. They go to the woods and run. Do not believe these Husky 55's are consumer grade - they are not.

55 and 55rancher are NOT the same saw. The 55 rancher makes 3.3hp and the 55 makes 3.4hp due to different porting. The 55 rancher comes with 3/8" pitch chain, the 55 comes with .325 pitch. The 55 is not available from husky anymore. They are very good quality consumer grade saws, but pro saws they are not. For the money its one of the best deals going - good model.

Last edited:
+$20 shipping which makes it $5 more than alamia. I dont know whether this guy runs them before shipping or not....

Echo 510

I really appreciate all the input about these saws .Eylof, I did look at the 351 and I like it only thing is it's not but about $30.00 less than the 346.
Tony the Echo CS510 is new. This dealer( Hamilton Supply) handles Husqvrna and Shindiawa products and has recently picked up the Echo products. We also have a Sthil dealer nearby also. Both are ok dealers. Tony, if you're interested , go to Hamsco.com and you can find Hamilton supply.
bwalker,The 346 for around $350 you mentioned is where??
Almamia has them for $355 & free ship.
I've never ordered from Alamia --Are they OK?
You guys on here are really helpful, I have read posts on here for a while but now am enjoying mixing it up a little with you. Like I said before, I don't make a living with a saw but I have to have them. Cutting mostly mesquites
Thanks, Kenny

Yeah, Tundraotto, I was aware that the 55 came with the .325 chain and 16 or 18" bar at least when my father-in-law bought his. The 55R comes 3/8 with 20" bar - I failed to mention these differences simply because I am talking powerhead and was pretty sure you can't buy the 55 anymore anyway. The fact that this is a consumer grade saw just bugs me - why is it labeled this? Because it lacks of an adjustable oiler or it lacks the "XP" behind a 3 digit Husky model number? It is not a plastic case saw, has a Mahle cylinder/piston just as the "pro" Husky saws, has a Zama adjustable carb, good air filter system. Just what stands out so different on these 55R's that make them inferior to the "pro" saws Husky makes? Believe me, I am truly curious and not being argumentative. I admit I have seen posts many times on this board by people who more than likely know much more about saws than me that these are consumer grade saws but I just don't see it. Now I understand how the Poulans and crap at Walmart, Home Depot, etc are consumer grade but just don't see it with the Husky 55 or 55R. Honestly what are the KEY things that label this consumer and thus "lighter duty" than the pro saws?

Brush, i have a stock husky 346xp and love it!!! i have also had an 026 and loved it but it didn't cut as fast as my 346!!!!! the 55 is a descent consumer saw, a great one for the $$$ i have run a couple of them at work and absolutly DON'T like them, too heavy for their displacement:eek:

BIG, I think the difference comes in little things, or not so little as far as porting (I dont think the 55/55r has a quad loop port system like almost, if not all xp models do). This means lower weight, higher power at a wider powerband, and last but not least longevity. The xp models are built to last over 1000/2000hrs whereas the consumer models are made for much less. The oilers for example I dont think are built to last as long (more plastic to wear out quicker etc.). I like the 55 - but like said there are some differences to the xp's as the price would of course dictate.

True,Tundraotto Alamia is cheaper. Do they run them before they ship them? Does anybody know how long it takes them to ship a saw? What are some of your experiences with Alamia?
I was bidding on a 026 Stihl on Ebay and went to 255.00 but dropped out on 260.00. The 260.00 turns to 280.00 with shippingfor a 2 year old saw I know nothing about. For 70.00 more dollars I can get a new 346xp which seems very popular on here.
Thanks for your responses.
Signed Plenty wet in Texas --Brush Stomper

Back