Dilemma....Echo 70cc vs Clone 90cc saw. What would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bwalker said...

"The truth is, saws are, all things considered a cheap hobby for most of us."

Ain't that the everlovin' truth!!

O.K.... Hands up, how many don't bat an eye over dropping 40 K + on a new pick em up truck, but wring their hands over a difference of a couple of hundred bucks or less, between two saws? " .. C'mon.. really, if you're cutting for bucks, a couple of hundred bucks is irrelevant ... get what cuts fast , balanced against what feels best in your hands. Taking down small stuff? Sure the Echo 590 would be faster that the 355T, but for me, I'd rather have the light weight of the 355T, than the speed of the Timber Wolf, if cutting all day.

Personally, I've never been disappointed, when I've bought ( arguably ), the best. I bought a high end Harmon Kardon stereo, decades ago. The cost of ownership for something I truly enjoyed was around 5 cents an hour, or less.

My "other" favourite for stuff is " great bang for the buck ".. which would explain my new Echo purchases :) . It would also explain buying my classic Stihl saws from Municipal auctions, for example, a perfect running 362 for $125.00 CDN. My Av 038 was under $100.00 CDN., also from a municipal auction.

Yup, for sure, right now I have about 9 saws, down from 15 -16 when I was working and then downsized when retiring. Realistically, I could get by with three, or maybe four... But, as I can easily afford to indulge what is now a hobby, Why would I.
40K is damn cheap for a truck now days.
I know of a guy that just bought a king ranch superduty diesel. No idea what He paid, but I woukd guess the sticker.price was in the 90k range. Yet the cheap wastage is running a clapped out 044 with a chicom short block and few other misc pieces.

Ok...so I had a couple of big (30"+ diameter) oaks fall out in my back pasture a few weeks ago. I tried making some cuts on them with my old Poulan 50cc saw with 20" bar, and it does it...but good lord is it slow. It's something like 5min just to get one cut through it.

I've been thinking about getting a bigger saw (all I have are saws that are 50cc and smaller)...and I think I can finally justify it with the job I've got to do on these big oaks. I told myself I didn't want to spend more than $1,000 on a new saw. Was thinking about a 590 or 620...but I think those will be too small for what I want to do. That being said.......

...after lots of research, and calling around to my local dealers...this is what I've come up with.

1. Pick up one of the Echo 7310 (73.5cc) saws with a 28" bar at the local dealer here in the next few weeks when they have their 15% off sale for $935.

2. OR...save some money, pick up one of the 90cc Farmertec/Neotec 660 clone saws with a 32-36" bar on it for around $450.

On one hand....that 90cc saw should hog through those oak trees, on the other hand...I've heard that the clones have some parts that wear out fast and cause issues (no surprise)...but I would be saving almost $500.

But...even though the echo is smaller, it's probably going to last me forever with the amount of use I'm going to put it through......I've heard it's a solid saw, and it's got a 5yr warranty. But.....I'm paying $500 more for a saw that's not going to get used much after it cuts up these oaks.

SO....considering what I need to do with it....would you buy a smaller 70cc saw that's better quality, with a 5yr warranty....but spend an extra $500+.........or save all that money and buy a big 90cc that might not be as reliable, might need some extra maintenance, might not last as long...but just hog through that oak tree with an even bigger bar?

I've watched a lot of videos on those clone saws....and for the most part, that seem like a pretty good deal as long as you aren't afraid of tuning the carb and doing some some basic part replacement if needed. But, there is still a change you are going to get one with issues right out of the box.

What would you do? Buy the 7310, or a 660 clone?
I bought two new saws 2 years ago. The Echo CS620PW 28" 60cc 4.5 hp and Farmertec G660 Pro 90cc 7 hp 36". I have used both to buck 32"-40" knotty pine and I can tell you that as good as the Echo is it struggled, but the G660 Pro was sufficient and I think is what you'll need for that big oak. The 660 consumes twice the fuel and had issues out of the box. The Pro is the way to go, but here's the skinny. Just like the Stihl MS660 the oiler on high won't be enough for any bar past 24", so I installed an aftermarket H.O. pump ($25). The arm on the oiler spring was so long that it cut a groove in the casing, so replaced that ($12). The chain adjuster is made poorly and must be replaced ($17). With those tha saw does what it should. I buy Oregon bars and chains and have run both on straight hi-test and VP Synthetic at 40:1 since new. As usual they wake up slowly through about 10 tanks. I ran slightly rich until that point and then retuned the high to a 4 stroke burble when I let up in a cut with the bar buried. Max performance and long life. Cost of Echo CS620PW $725 and 660 Pro $590 with bar and chains. You will need multiple sharp chains and to keep them sharp.

As Bwalker said...

"Why do you think Echos cost less? Not because they are the equal of a husky or stihl."

Hmmmmm... I don't know about that.

I think all three brands are equal in one metric... " Bang For The Buck " As in you get what you pay for.

Yup... Echo saws cost less ( on average), per C.C.. than the other two.. Are they as good? Arguably not.

But on a value for dollar scale, they are pretty close. ( IMHO)

There's got to be a reason that my Stihl 362, is worth more used than Echo 590 is new..

Back