Equipment damage.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlproincky

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, thought I'd start a thread for equipment damage/casualties, I couldn't find a dedicated thread so here it is. This thread is for any saw, climbing, rigging, truck, trailer, or other tree work equipment that is damaged on the job. post pics and the story! Also this will allow us to share experiences with more educated individuals, so we'll learn a little something. (If the incident wasn't enough)
Here's my most recent incident.
20240612_184147.jpg20240612_184228.jpg
The other day I was working on a semi complex storm damage removal. I was working on a branch off the main trunk that was 12' off the ground, mind that the tree was 3' diameter up there, the tip of this branch was on the ground, so it was under pressure. I had to climb for other branches that were well above shoulder height, so instead of getting on the ground to make 2 cuts I opted to just descend to where I needed to cut the branch. So because the branch was under tension I started the cut from the under side, it was under more pressure than I thought, so it pinched the saw. I unclipped my lanyard to reposition to get the saw unstuck, as I was repositioning I lost my balance and swung on my climb line. Swung to the end of my reecoil lanyard, then gathering my senses I looked back at my saw to see the lanyard mount ripped off. Heard husky's were bad to do this if dropped on a lanyard, but I fully understand why this happened this time. At the end of the day I could tell ya everything I should've done different.
Thought I'd share my experience with y'all to prove there's no such thing as too safe, and don't get in a hurry.

Good luck and be safe my friends!

Kudos to sharing a job gone bad... we have all had them. You were there, and I know you are a good climber, so backtrack and dissect it. What steps could you have taken to avoid the incident? This maybe should be moved to the accident section, but it's always good to do an after action report, with NO TROLLS, to learn from it. Glad you're OK brother.

Kudos to sharing a job gone bad... we have all had them. You were there, and I know you are a good climber, so backtrack and dissect it. What steps could you have taken to avoid the incident? This maybe should be moved to the accident section, but it's always good to do an after action report, with NO TROLLS, to learn from it. Glad you're OK brother.
Do you mean the injuries and fatalities section?

same thing on a storm damage hickory 2 weeks ago. pole saw got pinched. used another pole saw to cut it out. limb snapped n folded extension on stihl pole saw like a "V". NICE! Well at least the head om pole saw is good n all i need is the $60 extension pole!

Actually cost me nothing, they warrantied it and gave me a loaner machine while mine was in the shop no questions asked!
Fantastic! It looks like a clean crack in the casting. I don't see any evidence on the break that suggests a crack that propagated and worked its way through the part. You have a really good dealer! I'm not in the market for a machine like that (really wish I was), but if I hear of anyone looking I will certainly keep this in mind.

Hi guys, thought I'd start a thread for equipment damage/casualties, I couldn't find a dedicated thread so here it is. This thread is for any saw, climbing, rigging, truck, trailer, or other tree work equipment that is damaged on the job. post pics and the story! Also this will allow us to share experiences with more educated individuals, so we'll learn a little something. (If the incident wasn't enough)
Here's my most recent incident.
View attachment 1183640View attachment 1183641
The other day I was working on a semi complex storm damage removal. I was working on a branch off the main trunk that was 12' off the ground, mind that the tree was 3' diameter up there, the tip of this branch was on the ground, so it was under pressure. I had to climb for other branches that were well above shoulder height, so instead of getting on the ground to make 2 cuts I opted to just descend to where I needed to cut the branch. So because the branch was under tension I started the cut from the under side, it was under more pressure than I thought, so it pinched the saw. I unclipped my lanyard to reposition to get the saw unstuck, as I was repositioning I lost my balance and swung on my climb line. Swung to the end of my reecoil lanyard, then gathering my senses I looked back at my saw to see the lanyard mount ripped off. Heard husky's were bad to do this if dropped on a lanyard, but I fully understand why this happened this time. At the end of the day I could tell ya everything I should've done different.
Thought I'd share my experience with y'all to prove there's no such thing as too safe, and don't get in a hurry.

Good luck and be safe my friends!
Have you got a hot staple gun? I think you could repair that, or at least have a bit of fun trying. They are a game changer on chainsaw plastics

Have you got a hot staple gun? I think you could repair that, or at least have a bit of fun trying. They are a game changer on chainsaw plastics
I do not, it's tore down right now awaiting new parts. I'm not sure hot staples would hold tho, it's the main attachment point for a lanyard so its gotta be strong. I appreciate the suggestion tho.

Here's a pic of it right now.
20240728_223151.jpg

Actually cost me nothing, they warrantied it and gave me a loaner machine while mine was in the shop no questions asked!

I'd think they should. My first thought was that couldn't be done by user abuse. The hydraulics are not supposed to be strong enough to break the steel.

I'm guessing you weren't in the middle of that big log when you started picking it up?

Back