Favorite Loggin' Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok guy's what is your favorite saw to go loggin' with on a daily basis,and what di you run for a bar/chain combo??

I personally run my 385XP w/32" Oregon Pwr Mtch and 72LG or JG depending on what wood I will be felling,and I also bring my 064AV w/a 28" and 36" Oregon Pwr Mtch and 73JG skip chain..

Later Rob....

The fastest saw for logging, pound for pound is the 066 Magnum that has the muffler opened up. It is the most reliable and has more resale value than any other make of saw. However, a 385, 372 or 2171 will also do the job, among others, just remember, a saw is only as good as the person who is filing and mantaining it. Otherwise, just get yourself a muckaluck or homeatnight.
Gypo

066 Magnum with the muffler opened way up, 28" oregon bar, 33RS chain. 8 Teeth sprocket.

no one do here fells with saws anymore

know that's right. Logging to me means firing up my "bottom pig" a '47 Ford 8N (skidder and transportation), loading up my Walkerized 357xp w/Widsor 20" bar running 70 links of 3/8 72 LG, assorted wedges, an ax, a few beverages, (to keep from dehydration, it's hot down here;) and here recently, I've been packing a youngster, a 346xp, this kid seems to have the drive...definetly an attitude. Believe he's going to be a pistol when he grows up. A dog named Dolmar usually comes with us, to drive away the armadillos. We go behind the house and fell and skid whatever we need (dead oaks).

anybody wanna let me come fell with them for a week or so????have saws, will travel:D

Re: no one do here fells with saws anymore

Originally posted by WOLF_RIVER_MIKE
know that's right. Logging to me means firing up my "bottom pig" a '47 Ford 8N (skidder and transportation), loading up my Walkerized 357xp w/Widsor 20" bar running 70 links of 3/8 72 LG, assorted wedges, an ax, a few beverages, (to keep from dehydration, it's hot down here;) and here recently, I've been packing a youngster, a 346xp, this kid seems to have the drive...definetly an attitude. Believe he's going to be a pistol when he grows up. A dog named Dolmar usually comes with us, to drive away the armadillos. We go behind the house and fell and skid whatever we need (dead oaks).

Careful on those fords. Had 3 guys killed this year on them skidding trees. NO front weight on them puppies,

Still good tractors none the less.

You guys can laugh, har-de-har, but I just got me a little Homie super EZ, and bucked up a couple of trees for firewood Saturday afternoon.

The dang thing looks too good to use regularly; its a wall-hanger, but it's about as light as my 2149 Jons and cuts almost as well. Only bad thing is lack of antivibe. Not as bad as one of my old 5-20's, though, LOL.

My fave saw of all-time had to be the Jonsered 70E. This was my first European saw, replacing an Echo 702, which replaced a Homie 923. Just so smooth and easy after using those other saws. I traded it in for a 670, which has been a wonderful saw, but the 70E sticks out in my memory.

I've grown to really like my 266 Husky over the last 15 years. It's the perfect size for general work and its got real good power. It's reliability has been flawless since 1987 when I bought it for $425.00.

I got a 372 24", a 036 20", and a 046. I love the 372.I avent run the 046 because of UPS. As for the 036. Its a great saw never had a lick of trouble with it althou7gh I havent ran it much. It seems to me that it is a oddball size though. Doesnt have the snot of a 044 and is not as light as a 026. I hope to get a 044 and a 346 or a new 028 in the future.

IMHO, the 036 is a GREAT saw for farmers or people that only want one saw but still need to cut fairly large stuff on a regular basis , i have two of them and love them and have cut 40'' oak with no problems
:angel:

Well I figured I'd add my newly bought 3120XP to the list it has a 36" Oregon pwr mtch and some .404 75ck square ground skip chain on it,man does this thing cut like a bat outa hell.I spent all day yesterday felling and bucking 30"-40" DBH white pine with it and man did it like that wood I'm very happy with this saw but don't really like to lug it around kinda heavy...:rolleyes:

Later Rob...

Back