Felling in Connecticut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Stumbled across this guy today, has a few more videos if you follow the link to Youtube from the embed.

Very typical of our woodlands here. The forester was really stingy with his blue paint to mark the trees though.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TCtidLeG1zk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He might find things a bit easier with a longer bar. Quicker too. Too much monkey-motion running around the tree like that. A Humboldt face with an angled snipe would have rolled the tree just as well and he would have a lot less wasted wood on the money end of the tree. He needs to look up a little more, especially when he's wedging.

Better than HBRN, though. :smile2:

Nice ground you have back there. Nice and flat, no brush, thin timber. Easy way to go.

Last edited:
thanks for the post. not necessarily how I'd have done it, but classic east coast no less. definately how I'd have done it 5 or 6 years ago.

Rolling a tree w/ and open face risks slabbing the log from the hinge up. removing the sapwood on the sides of the hinge helps that. closed faces increase risk of fiber pull. He pulled his rendition off, guess that counts for credit.

He might find things a bit easier with a longer bar. Quicker too. Too much monkey-motion running around the tree like that. A Humboldt face with an angled snipe would have rolled the tree just as well and he would have a lot less wasted wood on the money end of the tree. He needs to look up a little more, especially when he's wedging.

Better than HBRN, though. :smile2:

Nice ground you have back there. Nice and flat, no brush, thin timber. Easy way to go.

Where's HBRN's vid. Did I miss it? You're just joking aren't you?

Where's HBRN's vid. Did I miss it? You're just joking aren't you?

I would never, ever joke about something like that. And please, for your own sake, don't watch any of HBRN's vids. Why torture yourself? :msp_biggrin:

He's on permanent vacation from AS but we figure he'll come slip-sliding back in here one of these days with another user name. He's kinda like herpes, the symptoms go away but the disease is there forever.

And please, for your own sake, don't watch any of HBRN's vids. Why torture yourself?

In case he is into sadomasochism:

http://www.arboristsite.com/tree-care-videos/175303.htm

I hope to hell that, other then the plumber's crack, I don't look like that when I'm cutting. Edited to add: I actually know I don't. Left the video playing while I went into the kitchen so I was just listening and not seeing the video...realized if my saw sounded like that out in the woods, my neighbor would come over and take it away from me :D

Last edited:
In case he is into sadomasochism:

http://www.arboristsite.com/tree-care-videos/175303.htm

I hope to hell that, other then the plumber's crack, I don't look like that when I'm cutting. Edited to add: I actually know I don't. Left the video playing while I went into the kitchen so I was just listening and not seeing the video...realized if my saw sounded like that out in the woods, my neighbor would come over and take it away from me :D

:hmm3grin2orange: I hope you realize what you've done. LumberjkChamp will never be the same now. I think everyone who was exposed to HBRN's videos should be eligible for some kind of counseling...just to get them back to normal.

Stumbled across this guy today, has a few more videos if you follow the link to Youtube from the embed.

Very typical of our woodlands here. The forester was really stingy with his blue paint to mark the trees though.

There's always a handful of foresters out there who can't mark timber to save their life. If only every timber marker had a season or two in the woods...

Agreed.

The log will be scaled from the small end up to the yellow line anyhow.
attachment.php

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Not true, the face is in the slab wood. I don't know of a single mill around these parts that would deduct for that. The mills here in the North East promote the use of the GOL methods.

attachment.php

Not true, the face is in the slab wood. I don't know of a single mill around these parts that would deduct for that. The mills here in the North East promote the use of the GOL methods.[/QUOTE]

It must be the difference between East and West. Out here if I sent a log like that to the mill they'd probably set it out where everyone could see it and write my name on it. :msp_biggrin:

The mills here want a straight cut on the butt log and as much of it as possible. Wasted wood is frowned on.

Do the mills back there really promote GOL techniques or do they just accept the results?

Yea they do, the mill that Im cutting for right now will pay for you to get the training if you don't already have it. It saves them a pile of money in insurance. Also its now a requirement to go threw the GOL training to be a certified logger in NYS.

I don't necessarily follow the training to the letter, it works much of the time but some times its just not needed or it wont let the tree do what you want. I get a kick out of how a lot of guys from out west bash the open face and swear by the humboldt where around here its just the opposite.

The issue with the humboldt notch is it tends to pull a lot of fiber when the tree leaves the stump especially on our hard woods. Its hard to get a low stump (like ground level) and have very open face using it as well.

The issue with the humboldt notch is it tends to pull a lot of fiber when the tree leaves the stump especially on our hard woods. Its hard to get a low stump (like ground level) and have very open face using it as well.

What a load of hogwash!

What bugs me the most about the video (other than the wedges that don't fit in the wedge belt) is that A: he cuts the same wood twice and B: why bore when you know its going to sit back? Once you get your wedges in you have all day to square up to the hinge. Also if there is no other tree to glance off of, what then? Or, have fun when you hang the other side of that fork up.

Latest posts

Back