Finished up the 066 RL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a '89 Yamaha Banshee that I wanted the tank cover a different color. I sanded the plastic, careful not to miss anything. I then sprayed it with Rustoleum Sunburst? yellow, using no primer. It lasted for years and never pealed. I believe the key is to make sure you sand/steel wool the entire piece until no gloss is left on the original finish.

In the case of this saw, I'm still sanding the plastic to remove all original gloss. It will surprise you how tough this plastic is. It'll take a courser grit than you would expect, like 220-400 wet/dry. Again, I used no primer. I then coat with Stihl paint until I get good coverage. Unfortunately, that's quite a lot with Stihl Orange. The Grey covers very well. No more than one or two coats is needed. I then let the color coat dry until tack free. Anything in grey can be baked at 170 in the oven. DO NOT bake anything in orange. It will blister, even at 170F. I then apply one or two coats of Rustoleum clear. I've yet to test the fuel resistance of this clear paint. Fortunately, the tank is not painted on this saw, so fuel resistance should not be the issue it was on the 045 Super I did last year.

Last edited:
The saw looks great! As far as the magnum sticker goes I don't remember the 066RL having that sticker...

What's the name of your clearcoat?

I've work on a few says that have been painted with a rattle can - "any color" to stop theft - bright green in one case (local Municipality - so they could see if the employees took them home!).

No prep at all! Luckily brake fluid wiped if off with a rag.

Last edited:
066 rl

WOW!! You did a great job on that 066 blsnelling!! Awesome! I do believe you need rep from everybody that reads this thread for that one. That's the reason I also want a 066 RL because they look so awesome. I am going to restore one also so this thread will help me.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers: :clap: :)

066's

Both! What else would we say, this is AS!lol I'll have 3 066's and a 660, when I'm done. No, not done with getting saws period, just 066's!LOL I'm not sure, but my dealer told me that the RL 066's are 95cc. I'm not sure though cause I can't find the specs on the RL's. Then when they started making the newer ones the downsized them to 91.6cc.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :clap: :) :cheers:

Don't know if the RL's are 95cc or not but I do know they run incredibly strong. The newer 660 and later 066's were definitely detuned. That said the absence of a decompresser definitely has me wanting to find a later 066/660 project and see what I can do to retune it.

Lake has allready posted the HP/Torque figures for the 066/MS660 series. The generation before the OSHA clampdown on noise was the strongest...

The max power of of the 056M2 is 5KW (6.8hp) at 9000 rpm.

The 660 (stock - current EPA model) is 5.2KW (7.1hp) at 9500 rpm.
The old redlight era 066 is 5.0KW (6.8hp) at 9500rpm, max torque of 4.1ft/lb at 6500rpm.
The 066 magnum after OSHA regs had the dual port removed was 5.4kw (7.2hp).
The 066 Magnum (dual port model) is higher, (like 7.7hp?) but I don't have the number at hand.

I'll look for the missing numbers...

Here it is from the 056 thread.

Back