First time here, need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I see it is a 31 cc saw, the 180, serves a different purpose than the 85 cc 064. These are two different tools. If you are asking for one saw to replace both it really can't be done unless you compromise on the upper end of the middle with a MS 400 (67 cc) or something in the 70 cc range. The only thing that will best that 064 is a 500i but I don't know if thats the best option for you in Coratia dep on tech support and such. Talking current "NIB" availibility here...Lots of used options out there of course but we all know what that can turn in to. Some opinions on here poopoo the 362 but at 2 lbs heavier than your 180, and 59 cc's, with a "25 ES light bar its hard to beat as an all day, all around, less than a grand *us$, work horse. A new stihl 462 with proper maint will last you 25 years...
I second the 362. I loved 361’s but I find the 362 to fit in well with the other 60cc class saws and they are very dependable. Not as state-of-the-art as a 400 or as powerful, but a nice saw overall.

Yeah, this seems to fit the bill. What's the user recommended bar length for the 500i?
Also, what would be the husqvarna equivalents?
Husqvarna saws to look at would be a 372xp. The OE version might be available to you, but I’m not sure. If so, they are a great, simple, reliable and notoriously good 70cc saw. There’s also the 572xp in that range. Getting closer to 500i power, you’ve got the 585, and for a little more than a 500i, you’ve got the 592xp, which is a heavier saw and would only out cut the 500i in bigger wood than you deal with, so probably not a great option.

First, Welcome to the forum.

2nd, Let us know a little more about your home base there in Croatia. I mean do you live out in the rural area, lots of woods near you, live on farm land, heat with wood yourself or do you process it to sell as firewood to others?

I saw you mention the quantity of wood you customarily cut per year. If we know your plans a little clearer, it will help us advise you.

Given that I began with a Stihl 026 and now have 2 of these, I will say that if you or anyone can find one in good running condition, these can be had for a reasonable cost. As one member mentioned, a 261 is also an option. I have one and got mine used in a 3 for 1 deal. Along with it, I got a 193T and 201T. Obviously you know what those Top Handle saws are good for and the 261 is 25+ years newer than my 1994 026 is.

I can think of some similar mid sized saws not mentioned here, but well regarded. In the same family as the 026, a good 044 is hard to beat while the MS 440 Magnum is on par with the best of the 70 cc saws going. It is discontinued since around 2012 I think, which brings us to the MS462C.

I would not hesitate to put any of these into my regular use depending on your feelings about Antivibe, M Tronic etc.

Since you asked about the Husqvarna's. I would probably suggest a 272XP, 372XP, 562 XP in the 70+ cc niche.
If you give consideration for the saws from 50 cc on up to the 70cc offerings from Husky, which are similar to the 026, 261, 362 Stihl's, A Husky 550 XP or 555 will get you a good 50-60 cc saw.

One key question to ask is what maker gives you the best dealer/ repair shop support for your area in Croatia, service and parts is the key here.

I should have welcomed you to the forum first, so tip of the hat. With that being said the professionals on here love their 261's as the small, limbing saw. For felling and bucking my other recommendations stand. But my philosophy is a little bit different. I run the exact same loop, 33RS 84 on all 3 of my "bigger" saws. One file, one spare chain, same length bar provides versatility with the big 3, which saves me time. And because the 362 is light enough to limb with, I'm not bending over, I don't need my smaller two saw unless I'm up in the tree or really doing light trimming. Its just a simple approach.

View attachment 1200326
At my age. 74, bending over can be an issue. In fact with my cancer issues if it wasn't for my wife, I'd never be able to get my drawers off (I wear bibs all the time being a redneck farmer) and putting on socks can also be an exercise in futility especially the couple days after my bi weekly infusions.

I have an excellent nurse and I love her dearly, 37 years now. If it wasn't for Amy, I'd be pushing up weeds in some cemetery by now. The cancer is inoperable. Been at it for going on 8 years now and praying every day for a cure that never seems to come.

I've sworn off Stihl's and went to Echo's I still have 3 Stihl's, 2 big ones with huge 2 man bars that I never use, they sit on the shelf waiting for me to die so my wife can sell them and probably cheap, an 090G and an 075 and I have and use a lot a Stihl 028 with the rare heated grip. Bought them all at one time way back when, like 45 years ago.

Never touched any of them mechanically either and the big ones are devoid of gas and oil and the 028 gets a steady diet of premium bar oil and Echo Red Armor canned fuel.

Even has the original spark plug in it and always starts second pull and it's a screamer with a 20" greaseable roller nose bar running 325 full tooth chipper chain. The 028 was always a high RPM saw anyways. I did mod the muffler years ago in my milling machine, but that is it. bet I have one of the longest running spark plugs on this forum as well. I take it out and clean it yearly just for kicks and grins and I keep the flocked air filter clean and I air hose the saws after every use as well.

All my Echo's (I like Echo's a lot) get cleaned as well after every use and the roller nose echo bars are all greaseable as well and they get greased every time I use them and lately has been a lot with the storm damage we have been experiencing.

I don't heat with wood so it all gets relegated to the burn pile, I cannot seem to give it away and it's all hardwood and a smattering of pine mixed in. Presently, my burn pile is about 10 feet high and 30 feet long and it's been dry here so when it rains and the ground is wet, I'll light it up and cremate it only to build it up again.

A little accelerant (used motor oil) to get it going and it will burn for days. If I have one that requires aerial work as in a bucket truck, I call one of my arborist customers (I sharpen their chipper knives and now their chain loops because new loops are getting stupid expensive and they come over with an Altec or a High Ranger and cut them down for me. Tit for tat'. they get their knives and anvils sharpened and their dull loops ground and I get free (sort of) aerial work and they usually bring a chipper to chip the small stuff which they dump in a pile out by the barn and I'll toss a bucket full or two in my burn pile when it gets really going. The big rounds I burn as well. They smolder for weeks, slowly getting smaller and smaller until they are gone. We get a good, much needed rain and I can play Pyro.

@chilipeppermaniac

Well, to answer most of the above:
I misspoke (or ‘misswrote’), on my 064 it’s not the piston that’s damaged, but one of the rings on the pistons broke and scratched the cylinder. The rings are new now.

I already do have a Husqvarna 555, so the midrange is covered. I’ll certainly try to make the 064 work too, but the 180 is getting replaced first and soon.

I live in a rural area, have around 7 hectares of forest in my property - that’s why I can justify spending what’s necessary on tools, they allow me to save 2-3000 € yearly on heating ( let’s say I don’t mind my time).
Also, the saws are used when necessary for sanitary cutting, or cleaning bits I want free of wild boars, deer etc.

Edit: about service/dealers - there are both a Stihl and a Husqvarna dealer 5 minutes from my home

@chilipeppermaniac

Well, to answer most of the above:
I misspoke (or ‘misswrote’), on my 064 it’s not the piston that’s damaged, but one of the rings on the pistons broke and scratched the cylinder. The rings are new now.
Bummer. Might make a good candidate for upgrading to an 066 top end then. I say that only because I'd assume you will have better odds of finding a used 066 cylinder in reasonable or at least salvageable shape, and because the OEM 066 piston is half the price of a new OEM 064 piston.

Back