Flow chart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Years ago when I used to read Hot Rod and Popular Hot Rodding they had articles about performance car engines. One of the things that I remember about their build ups was that they would always follow a flow of steps to get the most performance. When I see all of the work being done on chainsaws I realize that this is the same process. One thing that I do notice is that there is a lot of talk about mufflers. What about earlier in the process?

Let me outline the flow of goals and solutions. How would these steps work for chainsaws?

Get the most fuel to the carb/better fuel pump or electric w/regulator [Can't see a way to improve chainsaws]

Burn the fuel effeciently/jack up the ignition system w/ better plugs/wires-hoter spark-change timing [Anything applicable to saws?]

Exhaust the burnt fuel/seems like the muffler mods are taking care of this. Changing the port configuration wouldn't happen for a few steps yet

Mix the fuel better/Change carbs-jets-tune carb

Deliever fuel/air effeciently to cylinders/change intake manifold [Anything for saws?]

The reason they followed these steps is to keep the air/fuel moving in the most effecient manner. If the fuel weren't being burned effeciently what sense does it make to exhaust it faster?

Tom

I'm no expert, but I would think that the basic differences between 4 stroke and 2 stroke engines comes into play. Also, EPA regs have effectively de-tuned saws to the point where some will barely cut now. Opening the mufflers is simply removing the EPA mandated de-tuning process.
In order for fuel to flow through a 2-cycle engine, the exhaust must be sucked out as the new fuel gets sucked in. Closing down the muffler blocks the exhaust from escaping as fast, therefore blocking the fresh fuel from getting into the cylinder. Also, 2-cycle engines draw the fresh fuel from the crankcase into the cylinder. The carb simply flows fresh fuel into the crankcase to be used as lubricant before it is sucked into the cylinder to be burnt.

Latest posts

Back