For those of you Unfamiliar with the Husqvarna Trio Brake:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When something is idiot proofed manufacturers just make a smarter idiot. With all of these guards, people loose track of how dangerous a chainsaw can be. The more careless someone is, the more accidents there are.

Maybe it would work for some applications, but I would never personally buy one.

Just my .02

...officious woofters hell bent on trying to justify their own annoying authoritive self-importance :chatter:

I like that ! I don't have anything against this chain brake lever, but I may use your quote for many other situations. Thanks !

I, too, was impressed with the guy's limbing.

Last edited:
I have been using a friends OE346xpg with trio break and it is not in the way as much as thought it would be, the biggest problem with the trio break that i see (in practical use) is when climbing and having the saw in a lanyard !!
and the break seems to hold up well, i never heard of a breakdown even though many pros over here use it :)
I'm considering to buy one with trio break for myself, but gonna have to test my friends saw some more to be sure ,,,,,,,,

Great to see someone who's had some practical experience with one, I repped you for it. I would like to try one myself, but don't know if they're available here in the States. I do see a few on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Husqvarna-346XP...=ViewItem&pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item3effef3caf

As most AS members are in north america...................CE guidelines and practices call for alot more PPE and other things than we will never even see over here. I do believe it was marketed for a particular market but hold value in other morkets as well. Even notice that most is not all professioal users in Europe are all decked out in PPE beyond belief, and have accredidation and certification before using a saw on the jobsite or workplace. I have used a 346 trio brake and it gave me instant feedback to some of my bad sawing habits, most noteably bending over versus crouching down.

I like the idea i guess but i can see how for alot of the older guys set in their ways it may be a pain or more hassle then its worth. I'm still up in the air on it and cannot make a definate answer till I try it though. I do know one thing though that if it does stay around then the price of the older saws is gonna go up again.

As most AS members are in north america...................CE guidelines and practices call for alot more PPE and other things than we will never even see over here. I do believe it was marketed for a particular market but hold value in other morkets as well. Even notice that most is not all professioal users in Europe are all decked out in PPE beyond belief, and have accredidation and certification before using a saw on the jobsite or workplace. I have used a 346 trio brake and it gave me instant feedback to some of my bad sawing habits, most noteably bending over versus crouching down.

That is not really true not in Sweden anyway ,,, yes it's law on saw pants, boots and helmet if you are employed otherwise it's up to the user, and it is not (yet) mandatory to have a certification or accreditation but of course it's easier to get a job if you got the right papers :)
The instant feedback is one of the things i like with the triobrake, and in most aspects that i can think of i can use a triobrake equipped saw as i would use a non equipped one.
(though i'm not sure at all i will ever buy one with trio brake:p )

I see nothing wrong with it, especially for the average person, and the guy in the vid has some skill. I guess I'm just not a cynical person.:cheers:

Totally agree!!! there are a lot of people out there who buy a saw and have clue how to safely operate it. They need all the safety they can get!

That guy was a good operator.... I get the feeling watching him that if we both had the same saw and a single tank of gas, he'd get through a lot more wood that i could, and probably in less time too. He could probably out cut me even with a smaller saw and be less tired at the end of the day. Just a very efficient operator, didnt waste energy or movement. Just goes to show that a good operator can get more work done than a poor operator regardless of saw!

Shaun

I believe it originally was designed for a Swedish agency that had a lot of chainsaws for use in a pinch, but didn't have a chance to properly train all their crew properly, in the use of them. Then some idiots thought it was a good idea, and went further with it.....:censored:

What it actually does is to add quite a bit of weight, for no sane reason, and complicate maintenance etc!

The marketing works though, and my dealer tells me that several costumers (that are more or less pros) want them! His stock of saws show a clear sign of that as well - he hates it, but the costumer has the last word I believe.....

Btw, this is a really good dealer, that routinely "dehorns" the carb limiters on the saws he sell.

Last edited:
92aa04c18d21164889d78e62bc870578.jpg
188a8ffbef57987049a1acea478aa821.jpg
b6a7d56c64211021f0c784e8df04395f.jpg
saw my first one in the flesh week before last, looks very flimsy and easy to break and exceptionally annoying, definitely not for climbing but a good idea for unskilled weekend warriors

Actually if one would use the recomended ergonomics when using a chainsaw it is supposed to work very well and not inhibit at all.

The trio break probably polarises attitudes because so many tree workers are just anti chain break period. I know plenty of guys that never use the chain break at all. Some guys seem to think it wears the saw out or whatever. I'm pro chain break and train all my guys to use them constantly. I teach it as being like the safety on a gun; don't take it off unless you're ready to shoot. I also have a habit of applying the chain break at full revs once or twice a week to make sure it's working. FWIW, I've never worn out or damaged a saw doing this and wouldn't care if I did. I want to be sure that chain break works if it's needed, so if I wore it out or broke it then it wouldn't be a big deal. A saw isn't worth much anyhow, and the chain break is a very small portion of that. It might be a bigger deal to guys that have just one saw they want to keep for life.

Back