Forester Bar and chain Q

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, what readily available Oregon chain in .325 x .063 doesn't have extra bumpers? the 22bpx does, the 22lpx does. What else is out there?

He made a general statement about Oregon chain, based on .325 semi chisel alone. That was what I commented on!

Anyway, the small ramps on the drivers doesn't really count as bumpers, as long as they are a substitute for much larger and ramped rakers on most chain that doesn't have them. it just is a neater way to do it. Now I haven't studied the BPX in detail, as I rarely use semi chisel, but the LPX has really small rakers and are "yellow" chain.
LPX simply is the most efficient .325 chain currently made

Over simplifying things may be tempting, but it doesn't always give you the right answers! ;)

He made a general statement about Oregon chain, based on .325 semi chisel alone. That was what I commented on!

Anyway, the small ramps on the drivers doesn't really count as bumpers, as long as they are a substitute for much larger and ramped rakers on most chain that doesn't have them. it just is a neater way to do it. Now I haven't studied the BPX in detail, as I rarely use semi chisel, but the LPX has really small rakers and are "yellow" chain.
LPX simply is the most efficient .325 chain currently made

Over simplifying things may be tempting, but it doesn't always give you the right answers! ;)

Troll, you interpreted it as a general statement. It was not intended to be. I have other types of Oregon chain that I use. I was referring specifically to .325 x .063 for the application I needed and the Oregon branded ones have bumper links or whatever you want to refer to them as but they have something other than the depth gauge. Not saying that isn't desirable by some people but not what I wanted. Hence I stand by my statement.

No problem, it would be dull here if everyone agreed on everything! :D

I believe you ended up with the wrong answer though.;)

I have used quite a few Forester bar and chain combos and unless you bought them early on after they started marketing them they are quite good. They have since changed manufacturers from what I understand and the quality has went up quite a bit. Everything is made in china, I have personally spoken to the sales rep quite a few times from the company that makes Forester chain for them as i'm looking at importing a bunch in under a private label. We have put this chain through he** and back with no complaints whatsoever. I've intentionally grazed rocks, punched it into the dirt, resharpened it and was satisfied with the outcome. I'm not going to say its up to the quality of Stihl chain but I would run it right next to it and be confident in its performance and spend half the money. All the materials used in production come from the US, which was one of the major selling points for me. I have not had a chance to torture test the bars a lot yet but I will be soon.

I have used quite a few Forester bar and chain combos and unless you bought them early on after they started marketing them they are quite good. They have since changed manufacturers from what I understand and the quality has went up quite a bit. Everything is made in china, I have personally spoken to the sales rep quite a few times from the company that makes Forester chain for them as i'm looking at importing a bunch in under a private label. We have put this chain through he** and back with no complaints whatsoever. I've intentionally grazed rocks, punched it into the dirt, resharpened it and was satisfied with the outcome. I'm not going to say its up to the quality of Stihl chain but I would run it right next to it and be confident in its performance and spend half the money. All the materials used in production come from the US, which was one of the major selling points for me. I have not had a chance to torture test the bars a lot yet but I will be soon.

Sounds like exactly the attitude that the market would be better off without!

Update:

The Bar and Chain works just fine, If anything the Chain is a bit soft and dulls a bit fast.
I m cutting dirty old fallen wood tho, So there's that....

Back