Frozen Hmelite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_A

Reaction score
OLD homelite... engine froze due to son running it with "gas-without-oil". Was a functional saw until now; is it worth fixing or should I buy a new Stihl?

View this as a lucky stroke. Now you have justification to buy a new saw.

You didn't mention what size range you are in.

Heavens don't buy a Stihl. That will label you as very, very common. Dare to be different than the norm.

Get a Solo, a Jonsered, a John Deere, or a Shindaiwa.

It depends what Homelite it is. If it's an old XL or 150, junk it. Another company Snydert forgot is the new Makita, made by Dolmar (German). Lots of good smaller-name saws that give you much better quality for the money than the low priced Stihls.

However, if you have something like a SXL-925, 2100, or 650, it would be very worth to fix it. Rings would be a minimum, probably a piston, maybe a new jug.

I had what I think was a 650 several years ago and the piston had siezed.
I put in a new piston and rings($100+),new fuel, fired it up and it ran for about 15-20 seconds before it siezed again.:confused:

I will revise my suggestion of buying off the mainstream. Be sure you have a solid local dealer for whatever brand you buy.

Judge the dealer and the product, not just the product. Look what happened with McCulloch and Homelite, ranging from good to poor dealers with corporate backup down the tubes.

Mark_A, if you want parts for your saw for at least the next ten years. Buy a saw from a stable dealer. Do your homework as well, as far as what size saw for the job. And how much the saw will be used.
Josh

Latest posts

Back