Fuel mixture question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRPVETTE

Reaction score
I have my grandfathers pioneer p20 I understand they were made from 73-76 getting mixed information on fuel mixture originally it was 16 to 1 what mixture is safe to use?

Attachments

• 20240903_152006.jpg
    20240903_152006.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
A modern oil with a modern mix rate. Personally I prefer a bit more oil than 50:1 (I'd sooner risk cleaning spark plugs & screens than rebuilding engines) so I run 40:1 or 32:1 in harsh conditions (milling etc). The important thing is to use fresh non-ethanol fuel & tune the saw to your mix.

I have my grandfathers pioneer p20 I understand they were made from 73-76 getting mixed information on fuel mixture originally it was 16 to 1 what mixture is safe to use?
I had been running everything from the 1950s to present with 50:1 but recently went to 40:1 just to be safe. 16:1 will help keep mosquitos away.
Just to clarify - the older saws have been totally apart and cleaned - so no carbon build-up to worry about and I do pull the mufflers now and then to look for wear and damage. All good so far.

I had been running everything from the 1950s to present with 50:1 but recently went to 40:1 just to be safe. 16:1 will help keep mosquitos away.
the old saws ran with much more carbon deposit than any modern saw, they would need "decoking" regular if looked after, a word you dont hear these days, probable because oils have come on such a long way and keeps the ports clean, personally I think if you run a very old saw thats only been run on a mixture like 16/1 then stored and forgot about, could soon be ruined if its suddenly run on a modern oil at 50/1 it will soon be cleaning all that hard carbon and your nice piston that has lasted years could now be wrecked when bits break off and score everything that shouldnt be scored. Thats just my way of thinking I am sure some will disagree but thats life. Treat old tools with respect, some have lasted longer than a lot who post here so look after them and they will last many more years, dont expect them to compete with the likes of a 500i !! modern saws are a totally different league.

the old saws ran with much more carbon deposit than any modern saw, they would need "decoking" regular if looked after, a word you dont hear these days, probable because oils have come on such a long way and keeps the ports clean, personally I think if you run a very old saw thats only been run on a mixture like 16/1 then stored and forgot about, could soon be ruined if its suddenly run on a modern oil at 50/1 it will soon be cleaning all that hard carbon and your nice piston that has lasted years could now be wrecked when bits break off and score everything that shouldnt be scored. Thats just my way of thinking I am sure some will disagree but thats life. Treat old tools with respect, some have lasted longer than a lot who post here so look after them and they will last many more years, dont expect them to compete with the likes of a 500i !! modern saws are a totally different league.
Understood. These are saws that have been completely disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt so no carbon. I do check them periodically and have seen no damage or excess wear.

Back