Full skip or full comp. ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run full comp on my 20" bars. 24" and up gets a full skip. Its some ruff cuttin ???? but it seems to cut better and sharpen faster...

got semiskip on the super 028 and full copliment on the wood boss. cant honestly say w these saws i see much difference. except the semi skip is a little rougher ,but not enough to make any difference to me.now semiskip made my solo cut faster,although a little rougher.

"Full House Chain"

Hi Art, I have a 3/8 chisel chain that has twice as many teeth as a standard chain. No space between teeth. I have not used any of it, I am concerned the teeth may act as depth gauges for the tooth behind it. You can not "break " this chain without taking it apart on a cutter tooth. Would this chain be fast cutting or is this "too" many teeth? Thanks.
"So many saws,so little time." :cool: Larry

i'm gonna' love this thread! let's start with 20 inch bars on 4.3 cube saws.
art. can i ask you a question? semi skip or full skip won't keep the power head in the power band(less cutters-less drag=higher rpms-faster cutting). this is just the first question. i have researched this inside and out recording the saws times within 100th of a second.
don't get mad at me. it's my turn to "stir a turd". marty

Sedanman, I have heard the same thing about cutting "soft metal". It just seems with that many cutters it ought to really cut wood. So many saws, so little time. :cool: Larry

hi guys been a while

Any way i run full skip now on my 395 - 37" & 33".

I can say that it runs alot better with that then full comp as i did be for. may be its smother and faster, but diffentley stays alot sharper and longer, not to mention less teath to sharpen.

Lawrence , Play safe.

sedanman,
I once put out a question on another forum concerning "full house" chain. For people that don't know what a "full house" chain is, it's a chain that has no spaces between the teeth, just tooth after tooth. It received several responses stating that kind of chain is used for cutting aluminum. That wasn't my question at that time. My question went something like this: for discussion purposes, if you you took a modified 090 Stihl, put a 20" .063" gauge bar on it, then put a modified "full house" .058", 1/2" pitch chain on it and made a cut in a 17" round log. Would it cut faster than a full compliment chain that was modified to the same degree or would it bog down with sawdust because there was no spaces to carry out the sawdust? This is a good question for all the experts out there to ponder over, especially those that prefer full skip, semi skip or even full compliment chain to comment on.
Art Martin

Marty,
I don't get mad when someone states their opinion. Since you have done all those tests, I won't argue with you because I don't have any experience with small saws of that cubic inch catagory. But I will say that if I were to use a saw of that size, I could make a full compliment chain that would let the saw remain in the power band through the cut and blow away any full skip or semi skip chain. I can do this because I don't round file the teeth that cause a drag on the teeth since they don't clearly sever the fiber, but to some degree actually tear the wood out. You can observe this after the blocks drops off. There is a fuzzy texture on the end of the log. With the files that I use, there is just a clean smooth surface. It's just like when you us a dull razor to shave with, it puts a drag on the whiskers. Your just looking in the wrong place to cut down drag.
Art Martin

chain-57,
That 3/8" "full house" chain would not work well on any unmodified saw smaller than a 090 because it would pull down the rpm's. There is a way to modify a chain like that, but it takes an awful lot of hours. Would you be willing to sell it if you don't plan on using it? I think ruppydoggy made one up and put in a lot of time, but it didn't work out.
Art Martin

Art,

What do you recommend I use for chain on my unmodified 385XP w/32"bar,you seem to know alot about different type's of chain.

Any good recommendations?:confused:

Thanks for your help.

Don't give up on me yet, Art. I think the full house chain may work in certain situations. Funny thing is I have been working on it for two days now and that isn't fun when it is 95 degrees out. I got the teeth back where I want them and started the tedious work of grinding/relieving etc. I put up a picture so you could see the progress. Mike

Latest posts

Back