Full skip or full comp. ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
full house

Art,
The chain I have is 3/8 ,058, semi-chisel. The corner is not as round as most semi-chisel. Almost square like chisel. Sandvik is the brand. 058 is what I am running on my 090KD with a modified rollernose bar, @18", 76 DL. I have about 20', might part with some of it, if you are interested. Larry

chainsaw-57,
Any other chain, but a full chisel, wouldn't meet my needs because of the file that I use. It is designed to meet at the true corner without any deviation from that goal. Thanks for your reply.

Art Martin

StIhL MaGnUm,
It's hard for me to recommend a certain chain for your 385XP which I believe is 5.2 c.i.s, because I don't know what type of wood you are cutting, and the size of the trees. On that size of saw, I would use the shortest bar to get the job done. I favor the chisel, full compliment chain with the depth gauges no lower than .025" on a new chain and lowered progressively as the teeth are filed back. It is important that you can keep up the r.p.m.s by the pressure you apply.

Art Martin

Art,

Thanks for the reply,as for the size and type of wood I cut it is mostly hardwood Maple,Oak,and occasionally a few Cedar's,I also cut alot of Pine,as for size mostly 20"-40" anything smaller I use my buncher for.

I think I told you before that the saw has a 32"bar on it,but also have a 28" for it.

Hope this helps for a recommendation

Thanks
Rob.

Art Martin filing technique

So what type / brand of file do you use to sharpen your chain?

The Art Martin filing technique

Seriously, I don't expect it for free.
Is there a book / video that teaches various saw techniques?
Especially chain sharpening techniques.

Don,
I don't know of any books or videos, off hand, but there probably is. The filing techniques change with the objectives. If you file to cut logs, day in and day out, you would file a blunter angle so the edge would last longer but it would not cut as fast. When you file a chain for speed cutting, your angles change in many different ways. That is why trying to copy anothers angles is almost impossible, you can come close but not exactly. That is also why the end result is usually a slower cut. You can sneak a look at a champions chain, but you can never see all the "secrets" that go into a racing chain, because they are well hidden. For example, "rolling" a file on the top plate is a proceedure that is undetectable and not shared, known, or even understood, except by a few people.
Art Martin

"rolling" a file on the top plate

You are correct I don't understand this technique. The only manual I have seen is a Stihl manual and it does discuss various filing angles for the type of chain and the type of wood but it is very unclear. I surfed the Oregon site but never seen any good discussions.

Latest posts

Back