Full Wrap handle...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Who here uses one on a saw? Why? I just took one off a junk 038 and tossed it on mine today. Haven't cut with it yet. It will probably come on handy when I am limbing but when I am felling I don't use the handle making my back cuts anyway....

Hi JimL, I`m trying to picture how you make the backcuts without using the handlebar, do you hold only the rear handle? As far as limbing, don`t you place the bar on the opposite side of the bole from your body, preventing the bar from having a chance to kick into your leg or something. If this is how you do it, the half wrap is all you need. Full wraps are more commonly used by the guys out west who work on big timber on steep terrain who make Humboldt cuts, gives them something to hold onto when they finish the face cut on the "off" side. Russ

Although I never used wrap much, I couldnt understand why they are so popular West of the Rockies. Then I realized why when I was out there last spring. Here in the East in stubble jump land we usually make felling cuts from both sides of the tree, while in the Rockies, fallers make all cuts from one side for reasons described by Russ.
Stubble Jumper

Originally posted by jokers
Hi JimL, I`m trying to picture how you make the backcuts without using the handlebar, do you hold only the rear handle? As far as limbing, don`t you place the bar on the opposite side of the bole from your body, preventing the bar from having a chance to kick into your leg or something. If this is how you do it, the half wrap is all you need. Full wraps are more commonly used by the guys out west who work on big timber on steep terrain who make Humboldt cuts, gives them something to hold onto when they finish the face cut on the "off" side. Russ

No clue what humbolt cuts are...

I plunge cut everything cept my nothch. I just let myy dawgs grab ahold and rotate the saw. I do use the handle, but theres never any weight on it or much of a chance of kickig back...

Yes I am on the other side of the stick usually...

JimL, I think, as opposed to the conventional cut, where the diagonal is made frome the top, the Humboldt, the diagonal cut is made from the bottom. John, I'll be needing a big bottle of that Youkon Jack?

W_R_M has it right, now picture how the powerhead is going to be oriented making the face cut from the bottom up. You`ll see where the fullwrap is needed. Russ

Roger that. I have made some notches like that.. Never really found a spot for them in my technique...

Originally posted by Kevin
Southpaws use them.

I certainly don't. It would get in the way when making stump cuts, for one. Two, I'd prefer keeping that chain on the opposite side of the saw from my ............er..... ahh....... well, you know...... or ANY part of my body for that matter.:p

Latest posts

Back