Given a Husq 257

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend stopped by and gave me a 257 that looks to be in good condition. 20" husky bar w/replaceable nose, not too much use, and a nearly new 3/8 chisel chain. It's not even very dirty for a freebie. Don't know it's history. I still need to look it over and see if runs as it should?

Trying to decide what to do with it as I don't really need it. I have nice running 026 and 036 stihls (2 of each), and a running husq 61 in similar condition.

If it runs well and piston looks OK what would it fetch in the trading post?

I'll update when I see how/if it runs. If anyone is looking for one, send me a PM.

1 257 Hsq.jpg1 257hsq 2.jpg

I have a 257 that has a lot of miles on it, yet it still starts, runs, cuts, and oils as is should. They are really quite simple to work on. If I needed another saw in that class I'd definitely run it. As it is, I will probably put it in the display.

20240404_183739.jpg

20240404_190536.jpg

It doesn't look a lot better now, but it is clean from top to bottom.

None of that help you put a value on your saw...

Mark

A friend stopped by and gave me a 257 that looks to be in good condition. 20" husky bar w/replaceable nose, not too much use, and a nearly new 3/8 chisel chain. It's not even very dirty for a freebie. Don't know it's history. I still need to look it over and see if runs as it should?

Trying to decide what to do with it as I don't really need it. I have nice running 026 and 036 stihls (2 of each), and a running husq 61 in similar condition.

I'll update when I see how/if it runs. If anyone is looking for one, send me a PM.

View attachment 1180607View attachment 1180608
$125?

They're a very good saw and popular in my neck of the woods.
Most everyone runs 15-16 inch .325 bars on em here tho. My buddy uses one for firewood, it never misses a beat.
Yep they were a favorite with the pulpwooders back in the day around here. Cheap to buy, easy to maintain and tougher than woodpecker lips!!

View attachment 1180607View attachment 1180608
Guy at work gave me a 445 because it leaked bar oil. I have had only Stihls for years, but gotta admit I really like this 2nd hand Husky. I have been using it more than my 026 and 028. So I would give it a try and see how you like it.

I run my Husky 257 with a 20" bar and 0.325" pitch, 0.050" gauge chain. It loves that bar and chain loop. I bought the saw seven years ago to extend the life of my Stihl MS 361 that I bought 15 years ago. Now I'm using the 361 more often because both saws may outlive me. The 361 has a bit more grunt, but the 257 weighs about a pound less.

I've not worked on it yet. It does have great compression and turns over easily. I'll put my comp tester on it to see the numbers. If it runs good, how will it compare to my mid-size Stihls: 026, 028S, and 036? I guess a stupid ? as I'll find out soon enough if it's a runner.

I still need to pull the muffler to see P/C. Top cover was loose and air filter is missing?

I got some ipls and shop manuals from @ray benson , thanks!!! Seems they made these for a long time so must have been a decent saw, must be a ton of parts out there.

Is there an easy place to look up serial # to check vintage?

Latest posts

Back