Grinder wheels and degrees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you all get the better grinding wheels for your chain grinders?
I looked at baileys website and all I saw that were the correct size were the pink ones.
I did a google search and didn't have much better luck.
I've been told that the color of the wheel designates the characteristics of the wheel. i.e. fine, coarse, type of material, etc. Is this true?
I'm not happy with the wheels that came with my northern grinder and want to get better ones.
Is there a particular wheel that is considered the BEST?

As for the "degrees" part of the title.
I have been grinding my chains differently and keeping track of performance. I have observed little to no discernible difference between using 10° tilt or no tilt at all.
I have also pretty much gone to 30° vise angle. Chains seem to cut more aggressively and seem to stay sharp equally as long as they do at 25°.
These are simply observation that I wanted to comment on.

Same here, no tilt and 30 degrees for the last 40 years. Steve

How thick is it? I also found one for picco duro / 70PLN is probably 20$

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_211036.jpg
    IMG_20210127_211036.jpg
    876.8 KB
Yes we do. There's tacomec in all three colors variants I saw somewhere
They must be selling the other color grinding wheels somewhere! So, I assume that these are available via websites in Europe.

I'm curious how to sharpen a duro chain with a disc for widi / non-diamond
My understanding is that carbide cutters have to be sharpened by diamond wheels. There are different grades of diamond wheels: the least expensive are about $100 here in the US. Some are closer to $300.
30 degrees for the last 40 years
That adds up to a lot of degrees!

Philbert

It also seems to me that these shields will not be sharpened so I ask, maybe someone tried them.

Hey!
Once you've moved over to CBN wheels (and diamond wheels for the carbide chains) you'll never go back. They hold their shape (and never have to be dressed), make a very fine dust (which is just the tooth, since the CBN does not deteriorate), and they keep the chains much cooler when grinding. All in all they are fantastic! Forget vitreous wheels (which, by the way, are fragile and sensitive to impact), and can "explode" on you.
The ones I use come from "Diamond Wheel Abrasives" and cost around $100. Don't let the name "Diamond" confuse you - you need to order the CBN wheels for regular chains, and the diamond wheels for the carbide chains. Other alternatives are Baltic Abrasives. I have just ordered a "depth gauge" wheel, which is contoured to help shape depth gauges.
Hope this helps!
Mike

And I heard that the Russian has a nice abrasive, but I did not associate the name right away. Thanks for the link

They must be selling the other color grinding wheels somewhere! So, I assume that these are available via websites in Europe.

My understanding is that carbide cutters have to be sharpened by diamond wheels. There are different grades of diamond wheels: the least expensive are about $100 here in the US. Some are closer to $300.

That adds up to a lot of degrees!

Philbert

30 degrees +0 +0 +0 is still 30. Steve

Once you've moved over to CBN wheels (and diamond wheels for the carbide chains) you'll never go back.

Diamond Wheel Abrasives" and cost around $100
if
Tried them. Did not like them. Sold them. Maybe I got a bad batch? Did not get as smooth of a grind, and would still overheat cutters if I did not pay careful attention. Went back to well dressed vitreous wheels. Yes, there is more dust.

Philbert

I mean whether the gray grinding wheel, what we previously posted pictures, sharpen the duro chain. Has anyone tried this?

Latest posts

Back