Grinder wheels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 1/4" thick wheel with square edge for doing depth gauges, Oregon sells one (OR534-14A) for $36 CAD, is anyone using the same thing from another manufacturer that doesn't cost as much? Could use a regular round edge wheel and dress it flat but that is a LOT of wheel dust.

Doesn't cost as much??? What price where you expecting?

Peavy and Princess both want $20 for 3/16 wheels for one of the other tecomec rebrands like Oregon's.

I have bought Teccomec wheels off eBay (EDIT: now $25 shipped; $20 ea. for 2 or more), and Molemab wheels from Bailey’s ($15 ea. + shipping). Molemab probably makes all 3 brands!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecomec-OE...945754?hash=item592365879a:g:ewgAAOSwRiFcj6xU
https://www.baileysonline.com/molemab-aluminum-oxide-grinding-wheels-5-3-4-diameter-45508.html
Philbert
Thanks for the info. I saw the Tecomec on eBay but wasn't sure that it had a square edge as it is listed as a replacement for the Oregon OR534-316A which I believe has a round edge. Anything from Baileys is just too expensive because of the ridiculous shipping costs to Canada.

eBay seller is just listing comparable products to draw buyers’ attention.

316A is a 3/16” wheel. Make sure you order the 1/4” if that is what you want, or even the 5/16” for more coverage.

Send the seller a message before ordering and ask if you can mix different size wheels and still get the 20% discount.

Philbert

I don't see those ebay ones as being a cost effective option. This is the actual cost for that listing to a canadian address, not to mention the silly timeline for shipping.

It's actually cheaper for the OP to buy one from sawparts or cutterschoice on a sale.
12c06c2968a5704a41865e1ba827d61e.jpg

I don't see those ebay ones as being a cost effective option. This is the actual cost for that listing to a canadian address, not to mention the silly timeline for shipping.
I don't see the Canadian shipping charges because I search with a US address. They are a good deal for me.

'Silly' does not begin to describe some of the mailing / shipping costs from the US to other countries. If the OP cannot find a Canadian seller, it might be cheaper from a European or Asian vendor, which are able to ship to the US (at least) for a fraction of the cost of going the other way.

Philbert

It was that way until a certain president started a trade war and meddling with USPS, that upset NA logistics costs.

There are ways to ship inexpensively between Canada and the USA, however most options are unavailable until the border reopens fully.

So.... since it's the same subject.... how long do the steel diamond grinding wheels last?

Yeah, if you have carbide go with the diamond wheels. I don't run carbide much at all nor does anyone else I sharpen for.

Hmm, says non-carbide chains.
CBN (cubic boron nitride) grit wheels are for standard steel chains. Diamond grit wheels are for carbide (they 'fill up' when used on steel chains). The costs are similar.

It is a little confusing, because they look alike, and because one of the companies that sells a lot of both kinds is called 'Diamond Wheel Company'.

(Just like the 'Double Taper Wedge Company' which makes single taper and double taper felling wedges).

I like the vitrified, aluminum oxide ('pink') wheels, but it appears that I am an outlier.

Philbert

I jumped to the conclusion that it was a link to a diamond coated one when I made that comment, which I thought was odd. Now I understand there are two different types.

As for stone or not, I was more asking from an roi perspective. Initially I'd expect both to perform similar, but if you are further away from civilization...?

A lot of guys like the CBN wheels because they produce less dust. Some think that they are less likely to overheat the cutters. The shape (profile) and diameter do not change.

Basic CBN wheels start around $100 In the US. ‘Better’ (?) ones up to $300 (I don’t know enough to explain the difference). So, if they outlast 7, $15 vitrified wheels, you are ahead.

I did not like the way that the CBN wheels that I bought cut as well as the standard wheels. Maybe it was me. Maybe it was the wheels.

I keep my regular ones well dressed (lightly, once per loop), and like that I can modify the profile a little, if I want to.

If you live out in the boonies, maybe keep a few spares on hand: still cheaper for most guys, where a standard wheel will last several years.

Philbert

You can definitely still overheat the cutters which is crucial to getting to know the wheel and how it performs and with what type of chain, totally correct. Here's my situation. In Alaska, minimum 3-4 drive to nearest stihl shop. I sharpen ~100 chains each winter for a bunch of friends and larger clients. Little side gig when it's dark (such as now). I've seen all kinds of chains and how they get abused. What also matters is how clean the chains are when sharpening them. Soaking them or using a parts washer does wonders to clean them up before sharpening. For me, the cbn wheels have been well worth the investment over the last 10+ years. Same wheels

Back