handling locust (the thorny ones)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpen60

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have 5 locust trees(thorny) and the only reason i still have them is i know where the thorns are now. anyone know how to remove them without creating more problems?

Ran across this post on another site, discussing how to get rid of honey locust. This pretty much describes these buggers.

Yeah, I've got a bunch of 'em. Scary mean trees.

So far I haven't found any chemical treatment that keeps them in check. Cutting them down is an event. We first clear any surrounding brush and clean up any dropped branches/thorns, mow the surrounding area short, then work our way in towards the trunk. Shave off all thorns from the ground up as high as we can reach. Make sure your escape route is perfectly clear - you DON'T want to trip and fall when the tree starts to come down. Cut it and run - fast and far - and pray that the sumbitch doesn't get hung up in an adjoining tree. Which they usually do, since it seems that a single 1/4" branch can reach out and snag anything within 50 feet and miraculously support the whole tree, against all laws of physics and gravity, to keep it from completing its fall. If this happens, just fence off the entire area and put the property on the market.

If successful, we use a machete to strip thorns, and cut it into firewood (makes great firewood). All small branches are hauled to a brush pile and immediately burned. Then, keep the stump trimmed back. If you don't stay on top of it, you will go back inside for a drink of water, only to return and find that it has resprouted into a vengeful, multi-trunked demon bush 20' in diameter, intent on rending the flesh from the insolent being that offended it in such a manner.

Once it's completely gone, chopped up and burned to oblivion, there will still be one more thorn. This one is completely invisible, and between 5" and 6" long. It lies in hiding until your mother-in-law, baby niece, or the person on site to inspect the property before making you an offer on the land comes by, at which point it viciously attacks, impaling sole, foot, and upper of the shoe, depositing it's poisonous payload in retribution for you having had the audacity to attempt to end its vile and wicked life.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/problem-trees-please-help.256732/#post-4799928

Sorry if this isn't helpful but I remember this post anytime I see or hear something about honey locust.

i agree with the "evil ones" post. had a fella at work tell me to ring them and when the thorns all fall rake and burn them.

IMO easiest way to deal with honey locust is to drop the entire tree.
Get a lever and lift the cut end off the ground if needed so it stays dry then depart.
Return 1 year later and most of the thorns are gone dropped to the ground.
With a hatchet it's pretty quick work to remove the remaining.

A quicker option is to clear the brush 10' around the tree so no dead stuff can catch fire.
Get a sprayer filled with gas an spray the tree.
Light it and watch the thorns burn away while the locust wood is unaffected.
Start with spraying gas on one limb to get the hang of how much to use, and never forget that you must be upwind while spraying and the sprayer must be well away when you light the tree.
Humans don't have thorns or bark so we burn much easier than the tree :)

Once you are satisfied most of the thorns are burnt away drop the tree normally.

What I do.
Wear work boots and drop the tree.
Cut each limb off starting at the bottom and use rope to pull each section away and continue.
Then a good pair of sheers to de thorn it all.
Usually adds about 30-45 minutes over a normal tree removal but then honey locust is a real nice firewood so worth the time.
Getting no locust wounds is always nice since locust thorns tend to make for infected cuts very quick.

I love burning honey locust but it is a bit of extra work. I usually use a hatchet or tomahawk to cut the thorns. Just watch driving a truck or anything else with tired close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we just cut them down and the whole tree goes to the burn pile. They are the first tree to go when we get a farm that has them. We have plenty of non thorn locust and hedge for fire wood no need to mess with thorn locust trees.

Had an ol' boy around here tell me a long time ago to girdle them twice and come back in a year. When you fell them, majority of them fall off. Whether or not it works???? I try and stay away from the dang things, had a honey locust thorn go through my shoe and into my foot when I was a kid. Hated them ever since!

i agree with the "evil ones" post. had a fella at work tell me to ring them and when the thorns all fall rake and burn them.
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering, how long does it take for the thorns to fall off after the tree has been girdled and is visibly dead?

Had an ol' boy around here tell me a long time ago to girdle them twice and come back in a year. When you fell them, majority of them fall off. Whether or not it works???? I try and stay away from the dang things, had a honey locust thorn go through my shoe and into my foot when I was a kid. Hated them ever since!
I have had them puncture tractor tires. That is why I am reluctant to simply drop them at the edge of my fields.

Back