Harbor Freight Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have one of these HF grinders, and I like it. I file in the field, and use this in the shop. My only complaint is that the hinge joint wobbles. Did that right out of the box. I can squeeze the brake handle, and if I'm not paying attention, I can actually move it side to side as I bring it down to the chain, and really mess up my cutter if it's not where I need it. I actually adjusted my chain holder so that I put tension to the left when I pull it down to make sure it's the same on each cutter. As long as I remember to do that, it works well. Can't complain for the price!

Its not as good as a file cause it don't fit in my pocket to good.
Wise Wood

I agree. I do quite a bit of small engine repair on the side. Mowers and weed eaters are done and now its saws. Everyone wants their chain sharpened and I was tired of going at it by hand.

Mine was $10 and I can sharpen a chain on it OK if I go slow. It bends and wobbles if you force it. I just try to be consistent with how I touch and use it. I just use it on the 3/8 low po and small cutter .325 chains.
I use my Oregon 511A on the bigger stuff unless I'm going to square grind it.
I have three of the Oregon filing jigs that I like real well. I can turn out a nicer chain with one.

In one of the german threads I also frequent one of the guys mentioned that he takes it with him into the forest! He has a transformer (the cigarette style plug in for his laptop) for his car and can grind anywhere if he needs to thanks to the only 80W engine!

In one of the german threads I also frequent one of the guys mentioned that he takes it with him into the forest! He has a transformer (the cigarette style plug in for his laptop) for his car and can grind anywhere if he needs to thanks to the only 80W engine!
That works, but you really need to mount the sharpener to a wooden bracket of some sort that you can clamp tight to the truck frame or the side boards. The chain needs to hang free from the sharpener and the sharpener needs to be stable while you work, preferably at eye level.

All, of this is feasible, but you would be surprised at how many loggers still use a file in the field with the chain remaining on the bar and the bar resting flat on their shoulder with the power head in their lap.

Latest posts

Back