Helmet choices?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

Wood junky
Reaction score
I have been using the standard Peltor/3M/Stihl/Husq/Rockman hard hats and ear muff combos for ground work and all seem to work just fine, so far... some are more comfortable than others. I want to upgrade to a climbing-type helmet. A quick on-line search shows that most retailers sell Petzl, Kask and Pacific. There must be other good quality options too. (?) FWIW, I'm looking for maximizing breathability comfort. Price is not as important. I'd rather have one good comfy, cool helmet than waste time and money trying to find a cheap alternative. Unfortunately, there aren't many/any store locally that carry this stuff, so I can't "try before you buy" without driving over 2 hours round trip. Any help and experience would be greatly apreciated. However, in the end, I know that helmets are like work boots. Everyone has there own favorite.

I've got the Kask and I really enjoy it so far. I wouldn't recommend getting it in black though, it soaks up the heat pretty good. I also wouldn't recommend the visor, pretty steep at 60 bucks and I've heard saw dust still finds a way through it.

I have a Kong climbing helmet now. It's light and vented, but the next go around will be a Kask. I have heard that they are heavier, but they have more padding and appear to offer more protection than the Kong or Petzl helmets. I would purchase the hearing protection with them right away as well.

The Kasks do look pretty sweet. They claim to offer side protection, and the padding and webbing look awesome.

My black Kask Super just showed up a couple days ago, i guess i should have done more comparisons because i can see how it can get pretty damn hot, the padding inside sits right on your head unlike other Petzl's with the webbing support. Could be a plus during the colder months i supposed and i plan on getting a Petzl vented to compare. One for cold weather, one for hot i suppose. If looking for breathability/vented, i doubt these Kasks would be one of your first choices... I sweat ALOT with my bald head, may send it back for a lighter color or the Hi-Viz..

EDIT: They also come with the optional mounts for hearing protection shown in the little baggy in the pics.

Sleek lookin helmet tho!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I picked up a Vertex vent on sale. As I said, breathability was my primary concern and you all confirmed my suspicion that a webbing-type suspension should be cooler than the foams like the Kask or Alveo.

Was it the open & close vent system? Can i ask where you found it on sale or was it a private sale?

I've got the Kask and I really enjoy it so far. I wouldn't recommend getting it in black though, it soaks up the heat pretty good. I also wouldn't recommend the visor, pretty steep at 60 bucks and I've heard saw dust still finds a way through it.

Do you speak of the plastic visors or is there a mesh that can be acquired also? I'd assume you mean plastic when you say $60 bucks. For the price of the Kask it should come with a plastic (shade of your choice) IMO

GME Supply had 15% off and free shipping.
Amazon Prime was 17% off and free shipping.
Nothing amazing, but $15-20 off was much appreciated.

Do you speak of the plastic visors or is there a mesh that can be acquired also? I'd assume you mean plastic when you say $60 bucks. For the price of the Kask it should come with a plastic (shade of your choice) IMO

I haven't seen a mesh visor, but I imagine a company makes it, even if it isn't Kask. I agree, can't imagine the visor costs that much to make, and asking $60 for it is ludicrous. I do wish the visor worked as good as safety glasses, because the investment may be worth it with as many of them as I lose/step on :dumb:

I bought the kask plastic visor first, wouldn't recommend it. Not enough protection. Tree stuff sells a visor and ear protection set for kask helmets. It's really nice mesh visor and muffs. I believe it was 40 dollars but I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Back