Head, Ear, and Face Protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as plugs vs muffs, I think that with plugs, once the pressure waves make contact with your ear, the vibrations will easily continue along your skin making it easier for the wearer to still hear sounds even though they are MUCH quieter.

I had a Husqvarna helmet to start with, and didn't like it. I immediately returned it and bought a Stihl which I liked better. Unfortunately, about the 3rd time I used it, I set it down and knocked it off onto a hard surface breaking one of the built in muffs off the helmet. That was about 15 years ago and I haven't bothered to replace them because I found them awkward to use. I normally just use plugs instead. I've thought about trying to connect a set of plugs to my helmet, but never bothered.

Earpro is actually something that I'm constantly looking into. My lack of taking care of my hearing in my teens and early 20s has had its effect on me, but thankfully I started taking it more seriously while I was in college. My issue with both styles is comfort and being able to keep them on/in while actually working. If I'm wearing safety glasses (mowing, welding/grinding, doing construction, ect) the muffs become uncomfortable after a while because they are pushing against the sides of the glasses. Now that I'm wearing regular glasses daily, that has become more of an issue. I don't notice it at first, but after several hours, it starts to give me a noticeable headache that's difficult to deal with. I've noticed that the behind-the-neck style of muffs don't push as hard against my glasses and are more comfortable for me wear all day long. They also fit with my welding helmet on. For the past few decades, I've normally worn a hat with a full brim which also makes over the head muffs a no go for me.

Many plugs, on the other hand, make my ears sore if I have them in for several hours. Not to mention that if they are connected with a string, they tend to get pulled out by my shirt. The individual closed cell foam plugs have been the most comfortable for me to wear, but they are also the hardest to get in correctly (so that they stay put). I've tried electronic plugs and love the ones with built in Bluetooth, but they NEVER stay in very long. I love the idea, but the application sucks IMHO. I don't see how ANYONE on an active firing range could be happy with them, ESPECIALLY if they are doing any kind of running and gunning. I'd much rather have the same features in a behind the neck muff, but I haven't been able to find any.
My problem with plugs is that they always work their way loose. I agree that muffs can be uncomfortable, and in the summer, they make me sweat more. (We lose a lot of heat through the ears). But I put up with them because they protect my ears better than plugs.

I am aware that many plugs have higher NRR than muffs, but I don't buy it. When I wear 33 NRR plugs at work I can hear my radio go off. When I wear Honeywell muffs rated at 30NRR I often can not. I also find muffler dampen the noise better while shooting.
My hear is very damaged, to the tune of 90% in my left ear so I wear both plugs and muffs, but I still don't believe that plugs work as well as good muffler.
I have nothing to go on other than the anecdotes I mentioned above, so I very well may be wrong.
I'd like to hear others who use hearing protection daily opinions.

It's all about the quality of fit. Muffs can fit well and provide excellent protection, but glasses can interfere. They are hotter than plugs, so there's a heat stress component as well. On a positive note, I can wear ear buds with muffs so I can listen to programming while working.

If a person can hear things they don't think they should be able to hear, they might try a different brand or style of plug. At work when the standard plugs don't fit right we offer reusable plugs that come in multiple sizes. The same result might be achieved with a different style of disposable plugs.

This style of plug has been the most comfortable for me when wearing them all day. They are also the most difficult to get in correctly. If I don't get them all the way in, they work themselves out over time which is frustrating. If I do get them all the way in, they stay in and are more comfortable at the end of the day than anything else I've tried. If I have to take them out and put them back in more than a few times, I pitch them and use a new pair.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...utCKXQxLkCyAmPoqOKQ4JQn-AwS6BgRgaAuLGEALw_wcB

This style is a lot easier to get in and out, and they tend to stay in so long as I remove the string so my shirt and/or collar doesn't pull them out. No limit to the number of times I can take them in and out, or re-use them. For short to medium durations (few hours is no problem) they are fine. If I wear them all day long (8-16 hrs) they are really uncomfortable at the end of the day.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...xDrv--s541D_W2IgR-iQGdik8Wl3isLAaAnEhEALw_wcB

On a positive note, I can wear ear buds with muffs so I can listen to programming while working.
I am doing the same thing. Less for listening to programming. More to know when the wife calls or texts on my cell. I normally can't answer the phone at the time, but at least I know she tried to contact me so I can check in at the next opportunity. It has significantly reduced the number of "discussions" we've had over the past year or two. This is why I started trying Bluetooth earplugs to begin with, and they work well in this regard. They just won't stay where I need them.

That is an attractive combo. I'll keep an eye out for it.

That's fancier than mine. It don't have the strap for the back of your head. It's good in winter too as a nice warm wool hat will fit under the muffs. I'll get a picture next time I'm in the tool shed
Will it stop projectiles or go right through

The mesh does a pretty good job but you do get some spray/small stuff getting through if you are trimming wet stuff. I've put safety glasses on for added protection. It breathes much better than a plastic shield. The mesh is about like a fine window screen. It's metal and nothing bigger than the mesh has penetrated it. I use it with saws also if I don't need a helmet (not felling)

Back